Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - ZOO MED 501 Canister Filter Review
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 03:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Paul Higashikawa

iTrader Ratings: 9
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
Paul Higashikawa is a regular member

niko, you're absolutely right! I think I forgot to add one more comment, however. That is, the reason I think it's a great buy at everything you have said is because since we are mainly focusing on plants in this hobby( or at least for many such as myself) and less attention on the fish in terms of number and size, there really isn't any major need for a super strong filter. In this sense then, it is even adequate for larger tanks up to a certain size; I am thinking maybe somewhere around 30-gal would still be decent. This is just my opinion, of course. I don't like spending major money and I happen to be very lazy in maintenance. I do conduct all the basics; water changes every now and then, nutrient dosing, CO2 injection, etc....Just not too religious about doing it all too often in a well-scheduled manner. Nor am I that handy with DIY projects(read your recent filter article, BTW; awesome!) Also, I think if you have relatively heavily planted tank, then they already do good enough of a job in cleaning/keeping the water clean and clear. Plus, with relatively small number of fish and/or fish size(in aquascaping, in many cases, small fish is desired over large bulky ones), there is less accumulation of wastes. If any, the plants will absorb them coupled with the beneficial bacteria. Anyhow, for me, at least, this makes some sense. Still am kindda excited about this new filter

Paul
Paul Higashikawa is offline   Reply With Quote