Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peacock Moss (AKA Spiky Moss) for Sale

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Craig Tarvin 
#1 ·
I have several portions of Spiky Moss (AKA Peacock Moss) available. Spiky and Peacock are the same moss, but Peacock is a more popular name for it. It's in the genus Taxiphyllum, but the species is unknown. For more information regarding the name confusion, see this thread from the moss experts. Although this individual believes they are different species, there are some good pictures here. I have kept most of the available aquarium mosses before, and this one is my favorite by far. It looks really good, it grows really fast, and is very versatile and easy to grow. The tank I am selling this moss from is an 18 gallon with a 70 watt metal halide and CO2. It grows very fast in this tank, but you can also grow it in a lower light tank without CO2.

Here is a picture that I took of it in my tank today:

Close up:

Here is the size of portion I will be selling for $10 each + $5 USPS Priority shipping:

You can get multiple portions and still pay $5 for shipping. I accept PayPal non-credit card payments. Please let me know if you have any questons.

Thanks,
Craig

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks again Craig I can't wait to get the moss in the mail!

Julie :D

#5 ·
Craig Tarvin Wrote: I have several portions of Spiky Moss (AKA Peacock Moss) available. Spiky and Peacock are the same moss, but Peacock is a more popular name for it. It's in the genus Taxiphyllum, but the species is unknown. For more information regarding the name confusion, see this thread from the moss experts. Although this individual believes they are different species, there are some good pictures here. I have kept most of the available aquarium mosses before, and this one is my favorite by far. It looks really good, it grows really fast, and is very versatile and easy to grow. The tank I am selling this moss from is an 18 gallon with a 70 watt metal halide and CO2. It grows very fast in this tank, but you can also grow it in a lower light tank without CO2.

Hi Craig,

The source of the two mosses were from me, and it is possible that I received spiky instead of peacock. My buddy (the individual), is the owner of aquamoss.net and is friends with Dr. Tan. So it is possible that I received spiky moss and there is a peacock moss but who knows, and who Cares = ). I don't really follow scientific names and care too much about identity as its too much absorption for the brain for such a simple hobby. All that matters to me, is having the different mosses and growing them to their prime. I don't know, just trying to keep a balance between the 2 claims. I personally think they may be the same though.

Dennis

#6 ·
Hi Craig,

The source of the two mosses were from me, and it is possible that I received spiky instead of peacock. My buddy (the individual), is the owner of aquamoss.net and is friends with Dr. Tan. So it is possible that I received spiky moss and there is a peacock moss but who knows, and who Cares = ). I don't really follow scientific names and care too much about identity as its too much absorption for the brain for such a simple hobby. All that matters to me, is having the different mosses and growing them to their prime. I don't know, just trying to keep a balance between the 2 claims. I personally think they may be the same though.

Dennis
Hey Dennis,

Dr. Tan seems to think they are the same species, and since he is a famous bryologist, I think I'll take his word for it :)

I bought Peacock and Spiky Moss from a hobbyist in Singapore maybe a year and a half ago, back when they were pretty rare. I didn't see much of a difference between the two. They grow differently depending on where they are placed in the tank, etc. I am listing both names, if people have any questions about the common name, they can read the Killies.com article. One thing I know for sure, and I'm sure you can tell just from the pictures is that the moss I have is definitely Peacock/Spiky Moss. I think a lot of the moss sold in the US is sold under the wrong name.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Craig

#7 ·
Craig wrote: One thing I know for sure, and I'm sure you can tell just from the pictures is that the moss I have is definitely Peacock/Spiky Moss

For sure, your moss looks very nice. How much lighting do you have over it? Do you have any other pictures of different species you have?

Regards,
Dennis

#8 ·
Thanks. This tank is an 18 gallon with a 70 metal halide.

When I first got Spiky Moss I was in a moss collecting frenzy, haha. Once I saw what Spiky Moss looked like and how fast it grew, I gave up on most of the other mosses. I still have a couple Fissidens that I just retied so they don't look like much. I have a couple random Vesicularias but nothing really good enough to show pictures of right now.

#13 ·
really? I'll have to dig through and look. The plants are doing well, there were SO MANY OF THEM! My mom put a huge amount of the rotalas in her tank, as well as one that almost looks like an emersed form of rotala (the leaves are rounder and a deeper red, not sure if that's a different plant, if so, what is it? lol) I increased my rotalas, and then I still has some to bring to a local fish club meeting! I did notice there was moss mixed in there, and I pulled that out and put it in my cluttered shirmp tank, so now I'll have to go back and see if I can identify it! Just to clarify, that's not the main "unknown" moss I bought, but pieces from the big bag, right?

#14 ·
Thank you!

Thank you for the very generous portion of spiky moss Craig! It's is just beautiful and I still can't believe it got to me in two days!!!

I highly recommend Craig as a seller to people who are looking for excellent specimens. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.