Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Power Outages - How do you handle them?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
CincyCichlids

iTrader Ratings: 14
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
CincyCichlids is a regular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic46 View Post
Above you state "I'd probably end up running the generator in sections of the fishroom". I hope that is not the literal intent. The exhaust from a gen set is lethal. It must be run outside with real heavy extension cords to reduce the power loss over distance.
Vic
I know this is a late reply, but I've been in Tampa (no the weather wasn't great only 60, lots of wind.. made rough fishing in the mangroves ).

Anyway, I meant if I had a generator, I'd likely use it to power certain sections of the fishroom, while leaving the actual generator outside... depending on how strong the generator is, the amount of heaters I have may overdraw the generator.

About carbon monoxide, I lost two friends in highschool while they were camping in the winter. They had a propane heater in the tent, my friends and one of their fathers never woke up... I wouldn't risk it.

On another note, there was a guy on the GCAS site who used a kerosene heater in his fishroom garage. He went back in after a day of work, and found everything coated in soot. It clogged all his airlines as well the blower and everything else.... feel bad for him.
CincyCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote