Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Tiny super efficient CO2 reactor
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
niko

iTrader Ratings: 24
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
niko is a regular member
Default Re: Tiny super efficient CO2 reactor

Ah thank you, AquaHokie, for the pictures! They really show how pathetically simple this project is! For the price and simplicity of set-up this reactor is the rock bottom itself.

Adding an air stone at the end of the CO2 tubing is "an improvement" of the design because it reduces or eliminates the noise completely. Instead of an air stone you could add a 1/4 inch long piece of chopstick at the end of the CO2 tubing. The result is the same - finer bubbles and less or no noise.

The sponge traps the CO2 bubbles and the water rushing through the channels in the sponge disolves the trapped bubbles very well. A bigger sponge will result in almost 100% efficiency. If the pump outflow ponts down the efficiency is also improved. If you care - look for an older post of mine with pictures of another version of the same reactor. Either way the combination of a CO2 tubing + powerhead + sponge is very simple and very efficient.

If you remove the sponge and let CO2 bubbles float all over the tank you will sacrifice a lot of the water clarity. Each tiny bubble reflects the light and makes the water appear more or less milky when the tank is viewed from a distance. If you don't care about the looks then at least do something that seems to help both the plants and the appearance - direct the flow along the tank length and closer to the bottom. This way the bubbles that float up will be trapped under the plant leaves. This seems to boost the plant metabolism (direct contact of the leaves with CO2 bubbles) and also keeps most of the bubbles out of sight so you get better water clarity.

I don't remember if I mentioned before - mount the black internal filter in such a way that if the electricity stops the CO2 bubbles escape out of the filter chamber. If you let the gas accumulate around the impeller during the power failure the filter may not prime - the impeller may spin in CO2 instead of water, haha.

Ok, too much talk about such a simple project, I think everyone got the idea, especially with those detailed pictures. Thank you again, AquaHokuie!

--Nikolay
niko is offline   Reply With Quote