Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Once more about soft vs. hard water and Ca:Mg ratios
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 03:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
kekon

iTrader Ratings: 0
kekon is a regular member
Default Re: Once more about soft vs. hard water and Ca:Mg ratios

Wow, the chart is very interesting ! I will print it and watch thoroughly ! I've never collected information about my plants in such a form... I see the chart contains the values at witch my "favourite" problem occured - tip burn

Quote:
PH= 6.83
KH = 18.2 mg/l
GH = 148 mg/l
Ca = 45.5 mg/l
Mg = 12 mg/l
NO3 = 7.1 mg/l
P04 = .7 mg/l
K = 16.5 mg/l add every week
Fe = .33 mg/l

I had similar values in my tank and it was not bad; the only problem were snails (they love Ca & Mg)
NO3 was close to 5 ppm (above this value some plants were stunted and had burned tips)

Quote:
Too much micros can lead to pale colored young leaves? That's an interesting statement! Is it just an assumption or did you really observe something like that?
I did observe such effects on my plants and so did some people who experimented with it. It is known that the more micros one adds the more colorful plants become but there is some sticking point with that. Beyond this point leaves will turn pale. I'm not able to give exact maximum concentration of each micronutrient because i don't have an access to a laboratory which is capable of measuring micronutrients in the water but i can frankly say that the main critical element is boron. Together with my friend we experimented with boron and it turned out that adding more than 0.02 ppm of boron weekly (500% TMG dose) ends up with stopped growth and yellowing. However, most people use good fertilizers (TMG, ADA, Flourish etc.) which are unlikely to cause any micro excess (provided they're not overdosed). The problem may occur in some tanks where PMDD fert is used which has high boron content. The second element which can cause pale colors is copper. It can cause Fe deficiency but one should not be afraid of high Cu content in TMG because it is still to liitle to cause Fe deficiency (i noticed some plants like Didiplis Diandra for example, like more Cu - it has richer red colors)

Quote:
May I also ask you about your experiences with silicates? Did you ever have problems with Si02 in the past (other than growth of diatoms during the initial stages of a new tank)? Do you know how much silicates your tank water and the water you use for wc's holds?
Unfortunately my experiments with silicates failed... I wanted to add Si artifically to the tank but the problem was with finding any soluble Si compound. The only ones i found were Na2SiO3 and K2SIO3 (sodium silicate and potassium silicate) but i didn't add them to the tank because the salts are strong base wchich could end up with high pH rise (i was very afraid of doing it...). As far as silicates in the wc's water are concerned i found some info. Typical concentrations are 10..50 ppm of SiO2 (however this is very general info; it depends of the source where water is taken and suppied to our houses) Some people say silicates contribute to BBA algae but none of them was able to tell me what levels of SiO2 are harmful.
kekon is offline   Reply With Quote