Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - CO2 system suggestions for a 75gl tank
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
ray-the-pilot
Moved on

iTrader Ratings: 0
ray-the-pilot is a regular member
Default Re: CO2 system suggestions for a 75gl tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indignation View Post
Personally, I like not using one, as it allows oxygen levels to increase at night, when plants and fish need it. Injecting CO2 without light makes very little sense to me. As a scientist Ray, wouldn't you agree?
CO2 is a fertilizer, not a pH balancing agent, so why treat it as such? fluctuating pH is not harmful.
At the very least, it's just wasting CO2.

And as for my 2 cents, I don't think they were personally attacking your decision to buy one Ray. And asking that only people who own one to give input is a little silly. I don't own a substrate heater, but I can tell you using one is ineffective. Similarly, using the reasons stated above, I can give many reasons for not using a pH controller.
Let’s see if I can make something clear here. This thread started with someone who asked about pH controllers. A whole bunch of people (none of whom actually own such a device) chimed in and told him/her that they are “no good”/”not worth it.” Now I actually own a pH controller and think it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Those people who don’t own one make up stuff about pH controllers to prove they are no good. I own one and see that they don’t know what they are talking about because what they say is laughably ignorant.
Now this is science. What I say about ph controllers come from my actual experience with the equipment. These are facts.
The stuff you get from people who never owned one is just ignorance, superstition and hearsay. If they were scientific they would quote from someone who actually owned or tested one.

I am not trying to antagonize you but your post is typical of the other posts. It is someone making stuff up based on what they think pH controllers do without actually having used or researched them. Let me point out some typical misconceptions:

“Injecting CO2 without light makes very little sense to me. As a scientist Ray, wouldn't you agree?”

The controller only goes on when there is a demand for CO2 which is typically at full lights. As far as I know (and I’ve checked it a number of times because I was concerned about this myth) it never (rarely) goes on at night.

“CO2 is a fertilizer, not a pH balancing agent, so why treat it as such? fluctuating pH is not harmful.”

CO2 is part of the CO2/HCO3/CO3 buffer system which is practically the only inorganic buffer system available. It is your opinion (which is not supported by a lot of fish keeping people) that fluctuating pH is not harmful. Even if you are right, what does it matter if someone wants to maintain control over the environment of their aquarium in a way that includes pH.

Here is the choice. You can believe ignorance superstition and hearsay or you can ask some one who knows. If you actually own one I’d really like to hear about your experience!
ray-the-pilot is offline   Reply With Quote