Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Automatic Continuous Feeder - DIY
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
SantaMonica

iTrader Ratings: 0
SantaMonica is a regular member
Default Re: Automatic Continuous Feeder - DIY

Part 4 of 5

Now for the settings. Think of this pump as putting sugar into coffee, using a spoon. The size of the spoon is the "dose"; the time between spoons is the "interval"; and how fast you pour the spoon in is the "rate". We only care about adjusting the size of the spoon (dose), and how much time between spoons (interval). We do not care how fast we pour the spoon in, so it might at well be as fast as possible so the fish don't hang out at the pipe and eat it all.

Set how much you want dosed each time; I started by setting it to 0.4 ml:

Set how often (interval) you want it to dose; I started with once per hour:

Set the rate; Max is 600 ml/hr:

Now mix your food ahead of time; I started by using 1 part phyto, 1 part rotifers, and 4 parts pods:

Mix together and pour it into the bag:

Get as much air out of the bag as you can before you put the cap on. Then, turn it over and use the "prime" button to pull the remaining air out (might take a while.) The less air in the bag, the less bacteria will cause nitrate and phosphate to develop:

Now you are ready to fold the bag and put it into the chiller. This is 120 ml of food in the 500 ml bag (it could hold a lot more):

Fold the side with the tubing first, so that it stays on the inside (which helps keep it from freezing.) Don't fold it "tight" or you will cut off the flow. Just curve it around. If you get a "No Flow In" warning after running it, it's either because you folded this too tight, or something has started to freeze:

Next fold the other side; the idea here is to surround the tubing to keep it from touching the metal wall of the chiller:

A very thin towel (or a small filtersock), lining the metal chiller wall, will keep the bag from touching it and will help keep it from freezing (this is only needed if you keep the thermostat set to full cooling):
SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote