Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Method of Controlled Imbalances Summary
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Christian_rubilar

iTrader Ratings: 0
Christian_rubilar is a regular member
Default Re: Method of controlled imbalances and gda...

VI. AlGAE CONTROL APPROACH
THE CONTROLLED IMBALANCES

In this chapter I will describe the protocols (steps) I have sucesfully use to imbalance the aquarium looking for GSA as a first step, and loking for an balance later with no algae at all.

A. GREEN ALGAE

A.1. GREEN WATER

This is not very clear why this alage blooms. In my personal experience, it always blooms when the Kno3 and Po4 levels where to high together. However, seems that this is not the only situation where it can bloom. GW also is common in new aquariums, we can speculate that nitrite may also be a nutrient that this algae use.
Water changes don’t solve anything, usually it is worst.
To avoid GW the best is to start a new aquarium with a lot of fast growing plants, not necesaryly the definitive you want to have.

You can solve it using for time the doze of Tetra Baktozym.

An UV filter is the best option. Make a 50% water change before you start using it and at the 7th day. Stop fertilizing at all.

A.2. GREEN STRING ALGAE

This algae is related to ammonia. Please read about it at the water quality chapter in order to identify why you have ammonia un your aquarium.

PROTOCOL

1. First day, 50% water change. Check that the water you are adding is ammonia free.
2. Don’t decrease the light.
3. Check the Co2 levels, don’t assume it is ok.
4. Add just over the algae with syringe without needle 10 ml/25 gallon of hydrogen peroxide. Gluta / Excell is a good option. However, this products only solves the syntom.
5. Stop fertilizing at all.
6. Add 1 gram ok kno3 every 50 gallons daily.
7. 50% water change at the 7th day.
If you have enough shrimp they can easily clean this algae but they don’t solve the imbalance that caused it. 4 shimp per gallon can clean a tank in two days. This is an easy solution if you already have them or if they are cheap. Where I live a bag with 200 of them cost like 2 dollars, they are used as live food.

A.3. Sp. SHORT GREEN ALGAE

I had this algae between I sold my old canister and I received the new one. The aquarium has a lot of echinodorus and just a few fast growing plants. As soon as the new filter has a week working and I add more plants, this algae desapears.

A.4. GREEN SPOT ALGAE (GSA)

GSA is related to an imbalance between Po4 and No3. Essentially there is no Po4.

PROTOCOL:

1. First day 50% water change.
2. Keep adding Kno3.
3. Clean the glasses of GSA daily.
4. Add daily 1 gram of Po4 every 500 gallons until GSA stops appears.
5. As soon as you reach this point or on the seventh day, 50% water change.
6. If GSA didn’t stop bloom the first week, after the water change ad double the amount of Kno3 during the second week and so on.

A.5. CLADOPHORA

This algae is related to an imbalance between light and Co2.
You should check that the Co2 is enough. Read the Co2 chapter to find out out toi reach the maximum you can add without risking you fauna. If there is no way to add more Co2, the you should decrease the light. This is unsuall and only happens when you use natural ligh in summer time.
You can use Excell to kill this algae, 4 times the recommended doze.
If you have a shrimp tank and you don’t want to risk them adding more Co2, you should compensate it usiang Excell and Co2.
Riccia, Egeria densa and hemianthus micrantemoides suffer a lot with an Excell overdoze.
PROTOCOL
1. Check Co2 level.
2. Use the Kno3 generic protocol
3. Add 4 times the recommended doze for Excell

B. BGA: CIANOBACTERIA (OSCILLIOTA SPLENDENS)

Cianobacter is related to an imbalance between No3 and Po4. Always means that there is too much Po4, it can happends because there isn’t No3.

If you have discus the issue probably is too much Po4.
If the aquarium has a meadow or glossostigma elatinoides then the problem probably is the lack of No3.

Cianobacter can be kill in the same way than bacteria. You can add just over the algae with syringe without needle 10 ml/25 gallon of hydrogen peroxide once a day. Erythromycin can be use only when you have too much ciano.

PROTOCOL 1.

Small amounts of ciano, probably caused because lack of No3. This usually happens when you have glossostigma elatinoides or a lot of fast growing plants.:

1. Use the Kno3 generic protocol.
2. Vacuum the cianobacter or use the hydrogen peroxide.

PROTOCOL 2

1. Use the Kno3 generic protocol but adding double the amount of Kno3.
2. Black out the tank for 3 days.
3. After the 3 days, star again the Kno3 generic protocol with the standard amount of Kno3 until you reach GSA.

PROTOCOL 3

1. Use the Kno3 generic protocol but adding double the amount of Kno3.
2. Black out the tank for 3 days.
3. Add 500 mg of erythromycin every 25 gallons once a day.
4. After the 3 days, star again the Kno3 generic protocol with the standard amount of Kno3 until you reach GSA.

C. GREEN DUST ALGAE (GDA)

There is a lot of confusión about this algae. The EI suggest that you should wait the life cycle of this algae ends (3 weeks).
However, a friend of mine waited for 6 months, the picture is from his tank.
I tested the water and I discovered a complex imbalance related to1) Ca: mg, too much Ca and 2) No3:Po4, too much Po4.
Three days later after we worked out on this imbalances the problem was solved.

PROTOCOL:

1. Use the Kno3 generic protocol plus:
2. Clean the glasses every day until GDA doesn’t appears anymore.
3. In future, you should use a Ca:Mg ratio of 1:4.
4. If you add Po4, read the fertilizing chapter about Po4.
5. Read the water quality chapter about excess of Po4 and Ca in tap water.

D.1. RODOPHYTA SP.1

This algae is related to an excess of Fe.

2. add just over the algae with syringe without needle 10 ml/25 gallon of hydrogen peroxide once a day. Excell can be use too, 4 time the recommended doze.
3. In future, you should add 1/3 of the Fe you were using.

D.2. RODOPHYTA SP. 2

This algae is related to a complex imbalance where where there is too much Ca in relation to Mg and there is an excess of Fe too.

2. add just over the algae with syringe without needle 10 ml/25 gallon of hydrogen peroxide once a day. Excell can be use too, 4 time the recommended doze.
3. In future, you should add 1/3 of the Fe you were using.
4. In future, change the Ca:mg ratio. Please read the fertilizing chapter about Ca:Mg.

D.3. RODOPHYTAS SP. 3

This algae is related to an imbalance between Ca: Mg where there is too much Mg.
If you have marble in you tank, you should remove it.

2. In future, reduce the Mg you are adding.

D.4. RODOPHYTA LEMANEA (BBA):

Lack of Co2 and Ca is related to this algae. Sometimes a high KH is the cause.

2. Check kh, eventually, reduce KH using RO water.
3. Check Co2. Read the chapter about Co2.

D.5. RODOPHYTA SP. 5

This algae is related to an imbalance between No3:Po4 where is an excess of Po4 and lack of Co2.

2. Check kh, eventually, reduce KH using RO water.
3. Check Co2. Read the chapter about Co2.
4. Stop adding Po4, read about Po4 at the fertilizing chapter.

E. DIATOMEAS

Increase your light!!!!!! Don't waste you time about silicates.

F. BROWN HAIR ALGAE

This algae is related to an excess of sulfur. It usually happens when your tap water already contains too much sulfur.

2. Try to get a water analysis from the Water company.
3. Reduce or eliminate the use of sulfates (potasium, mg, etc)

G. Different algae at the same time

You should chose the worst and start working about it. Ciano is the worst always because it kills plants.
If you reach GSA this water chemistry will help you to start finding a long term balance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this work can be useful for you. I have been in this hobbie for 28 years. When I start using the most popular fertilizing methods and there were issues without a clear solution, I start looking for a way to enjoy of my aquarium without algae. This work is my feedback and the feedback of hundred of people who teach me a lot with his/her experiences during the last 5 year at www.drpez.net.
Thanks

Last edited by Christian_rubilar; 02-17-2010 at 02:15 AM..