Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Can I use this regulator for co2?

3K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  barbarossa4122 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hi drunkenmastera,

The specifications for that regulator appear here. It appears it comes standard with a CGA 540 connection for oxygen tanks, not a CGA 320 for CO2. BTW, that is a good price. Call your local gas supply dealer and ask if they can change the tank connector and for how much.

#4 · (Edited)
The first one could be used if you swapped the input nipple to a cga320 for CO2. The scale of the output gauge is a little high for our use but is still usable. A replacement gauge could be bought for about $10.00.

The second regulator is more idea with the scale of the secondary gauge and the fact that it already has a cga 320 nipple. But, I see a white residue around the relief valve. It makes me think the diaphraphm is blown. It could be rebuilt for about $50.00 at:

http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/

and it would be like brand new. It is also smaller and lighter than the first one. Judging buy the model number it is kind of old.

Oops, sorry, looking again at the picture of the second one, the white residue is on the output, not the relief valve. The second one could be a good buy. The output would probably be replaced anyway.

#24 ·
The second regulator is more idea with the scale of the secondary gauge and the fact that it already has a cga 320 nipple. But, I see a white residue around the relief valve. It makes me think the diaphraphm is blown. It could be rebuilt for about $50.00 at:
Hi,

I bought this one a couple of days ago. I have it in my hand right now, the white residue you see is some kind of a sealer not residue. I did not put it together yet but, when I do I'll let you guys know if the diaphraphm is blown. This morning I bought another brand-new, unused Victor 453b-320 of ebay for $62.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190460253106

#9 ·
It looks like a good one. It is indeed a dual stage with a cga320 input and the secondary gauge is a good scale. It probably is manufactured by Victor, can't say for sure.

More importantly, the seller will take a return in 7 days. For that price it is worth a try. If worst case scenario, you had to have it rebuilt, you still would be within a reasonable purchase price. I had a Victor blow a diaphragm once and had it rebuilt. I still was happy with it. With the low output pressures we use, it is not likely happen to often, even if the regulator is old.

Looking at the picture again, the gauges look brand new so, it's possible the regulator has been rebuilt already.

#21 ·
Hi drunkenmastera,

If you have Craigslist in your area, type in CO2 and all the folks selling their beer making stuff (including CO2 tanks and regulators) will pop up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.