Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - How-To: Mineralized Soil Substrate, by Aaron Talbot
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #266 (permalink)
Varma

iTrader Ratings: 0
Varma is a regular member
Question Re: How-To: Mineralized Soil Substrate, by Aaron Talbot

Aaron,

Thanks for writing this great article and share it to the commiunity. I have been thinking about this for a while and atlast I collected all the things in the list that I can get hold off. I just want to make sure I collected the right items and also the process I am following is right.

I know you explained pretty clear but when I started the process of mineralizing right then the questions started hitting me for each and everything in the list below.
Cheap topsoil
Pottery clay
Dolomite
Muriate of potash

The Aquarium I am currently working on is 90 GAL (48 Lx 18 W). So please help me with the quantities if I am putting toomuch or too low.

Topsoil: I got the Topsoil from peterose. Usually this store sell them in tones but the guy let me fill the 5GAL bucket pure topsoil(Without any mulch/peatmoss mix) for free. I noticed minimal organic stuff in it. I started mineralizing the soil. During the process when I dump the muddy water, I noticed Fine soil(Creamy texture) is getting dumped with muddy water. According to my understanding this creamy texture soil is pure soil. When this creamy texture soil dried its turned out like soft powder. The soil sitting in the container bottom has sand like texture that you feel in the beach. The questoin I have is Do I need to keep this creamy texture soil along with sandy texture soil or just sandy texture soil or just creamy texture soil?

Q 1) Which texture soil do I need to keep?

Q 2) 5 GAL bucket Topsoil is that enough for 90 GAL Tank ?

Pottery Clay: I got 2.5 pounds of gray color Pottery Clay for 2$. Not sure whether that is the right clay for this project or not. see the Picture
Q 3) I am not sure also whether the picture helps or not. if Helps Is this the right pottery clay?

Dolomite: Not sure whether this is the right thing I purchased or not. Please see the pictures.
Q 4) Is it the right one? if so howmuch do I need to put in 90 GAL Tank?

Muriate of Potash: Not sure whether this is the right thing I purchased or not. Please see the pictures.
Q 5) Is it the right one? if so howmuch do I need to put in 90 GAL Tank?

I really appriciate your help on this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1257[1].jpg (306.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1259[1].jpg (433.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1261[1].jpg (455.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1262[1].jpg (453.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1263[1].jpg (349.8 KB, 45 views)
Varma is offline   Reply With Quote