Aquatic Plant Forum banner

PAR data collection

70K views 146 replies 29 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is a place for members who use the PAR meter to record their results, and compare to others information. I suggest you use the "quote" option to copy this form into your post and then fill in the blanks.

PAR DATA COLLECTION
10 October 2011

Please fill out this form as completely as possible. Use a new form for each aquarium. You can also submit the information on the DFWAPC forum on Aquatic Plant Central and it will be immediately available for everyone.

Aquarium size:
(gallons and dimensions)

Type of light fixture AND reflector:
(power compact, T5 NO, metal halide, mirror polish reflector, white paint, mylar, etc.)

Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage:
(examples: "2 T5 HO tubes, 24 w" or "1 metal halide 150 w")

Age of lamps, bulbs, or tubes:

Other information:
(brand, color temperature, spectrum, etc.)

Distance from light fixture to substrate:

PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE:
(Tip: you may want to measure PAR in several different locations. You can report multiple measurements, or calculate an average.)

Comments: (Are there other conditions affecting light levels? What types of plants do you grow? Was the meter easy to use? Were you surprised by the results?)

Thank You!

See less See more
#2 ·
I will start with surprising data from one of my tanks.

PAR DATA COLLECTION
10 October 2011

Please fill out this form as completely as possible. Use a new form for each aquarium. You can also submit the information on the DFWAPC forum on Aquatic Plant Central and it will be immediately available for everyone.

Aquarium size standard 10 gallon, 20" x 10" x 12" tall
(gallons and dimensions)

Type of light fixture Cheap office desk lamp with screw-in spiral compact fluorescent
(power compact, T5 NO, metal halide, etc.)

Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage 1 spiral CF, 26 w (bought it at Walmart)

Age of lamps, bulbs, or tubes 6 weeks

Other information GE, 6500 K

Distance from light fixture to substrate 13"

PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE: 60!
(Tip: you may want to measure PAR in several different locations. You can report multiple measurements, or calculate an average.)

Comments (Are there other conditions affecting light levels? What types of plants do you grow? Was the meter easy to use? Were you surprised by the results?)

This is higher PAR than any of my other tanks, with compact fluorescents and T5 NO lighting! The plants are a solid carpet of pigmy chain sword and miscellaneous easy species, with some floating plants.

Thank You!
See, that was easy!

#4 ·
PAR DATA COLLECTION
10 October 2011

Aquarium size standard 10 gallon, 20" x 10" x 12" tall
(gallons and dimensions)

Type of light fixture AND reflector OLD hand me down T8 fixture w/ no reflector
(power compact, T5 NO, metal halide, mirror polish reflector, white paint, mylar, etc.)

Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage 1 x 15 Watt 18" T8 Phillips grow light

Age of lamps, bulbs, or tubes ~1 month

Other information 6500 K

PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE: 3 - see comments. Just under the surface of the water I measured 101.

Comments I have a lot of floating plants.
(Are there other conditions affecting light levels? What types of plants do you grow? Was the meter easy to use? Were you surprised by the results?)

Thank You!

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
PAR DATA COLLECTION
10 October 2011

Aquarium size 15 gallon Long, 24" x 12" x 12" tall
(gallons and dimensions)

Type of light fixture AND reflector Cheap clip on desk lamp with white paint as reflector

Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage 1 x 26 Watt spiral CFL

Age of lamps, bulbs, or tubes ~1 month

Other information GE, 6500 K

Distance from light fixture to substrate 20" (8" above waterline)

PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE: at substrate 14; just under water 49

Comments This tank is a rimless with a vine growing from the hob across the back of the tank, so I have the fixture tilted to put light on the tank and vine. Less than optimum par values are expected at the substrate.
(Are there other conditions affecting light levels? What types of plants do you grow? Was the meter easy to use? Were you surprised by the results?)

Thank You!

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
PAR DATA COLLECTION
10 October 2011

Aquarium size 40 gallon, 36" x 15" x 16" tall
(gallons and dimensions)

Type of light fixture AND reflector 1 x 36" T5 NO dual bulb with original reflector (mirror polish)
1 x 24" T5 NO dual bulb with original reflector (mirror polish)

Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage 1 x 36" 10,000K 21 Watts
1 x 36" 6,700K 21 Watts
1 x 24" 10,000K 14 Watts
1 x 24" 6,700K 14 Watts

Age of lamps, bulbs, or tubes Average ~ 1 month except the 24" 10,000K which might be 3 years old

Other information

PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE: I am having trouble keeping any color except green in my tank, so my testing focused on how much light my glass top filters out.

@ substrate
Measurements with both fixtures: w/ glass 83, w/o glass 97
Measurements with only 36" lamp: w/ glass 48, w/o glass 54
Measurements with only 24" lamp: w/ glass 42, w/o glass 44

@ top (~ 1-2" below water line)
Measurements with both fixtures: w/ glass 365, w/o glass *
Measurements with only 36" lamp: w/ glass 281, w/o glass 303
Measurements with only 24" lamp: w/ glass 240, w/o glass 247

As you can see there isn't too much of a difference with or without the glass.

Comments lights were arranged for optimum par values. Background of tank is overgrown and would skew results.

Thank You!

*at 1-2" below the surface, there was not enough room for both lights to illuminate the same area. Most of the light from each lamp, because of the reflectors, is aimed straight down and I was unable to aim both at the sensor simultaneously.

I, also, just for fun measured, in roughly 2-3" increments, the par value from the substrate to the surface without the glass top using only the 36" fiture. These values are listed below.

Just under surface of water: 255
@ substrate: 52
directly under the light without any water: 609

Furthermore, for further reference to real sunlight: at 3:00 pm this afternoon I measured the sun in open air, and the meter showed about 2,000! A few inches below the water's surface in my pond values were still as high as 1,000.

Something else to add, I noticed something interesting involving the front glass of the tank. It seemed as though the glass would
reflect light back into the tank. Meaning I measured higher par values as I moved the sensor closer to the glass. If someone would confirm this, I would appreciate it. I'm not entirely sure my reflector aims straight down, so it might have something to do with this as well.

#10 ·
Something else to add, I noticed something interesting involving the front glass of the tank. It seemed as though the glass would
reflect light back into the tank. Meaning I measured higher par values as I moved the sensor closer to the glass. If someone would confirm this, I would appreciate it. I'm not entirely sure my reflector aims straight down, so it might have something to do with this as well.
I have been doing a lot of reading on PAR measurements lately and have seen more than one person make the same observation.

For the sake of consistency people should probably try to take readings close to the center of the tank away from the glass.

#7 ·
Here is another tank at the low end of the light range. This time I used the "cut and paste" commands to copy the form, and deleted some redundant stuff.

PAR DATA COLLECTION

Aquarium size: 20 tall, 24" x 12" x 16"

Type of light fixture AND reflector: power compact, flimsy mylar reflector

Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage: 1 power compact, 65w

Age of lamps, bulbs, or tubes: 3 months

Other information: Coralife fixture and tube, 10,000K

Distance from light fixture to substrate: 20"

PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE: 16

Comments: There is a very thick background of vallisneria which blocks some light. Using the old watts per gallon rule, this is high light (3.25 wpg!). Now I know why nothing will grow on the bottom of this tank except moss.

#8 ·
Some more outdoor pond measurements, taken last month at about noon:

Just above the surface--1,700
12" below the surface--1,200
24" below the surface--800

I think we may need to change our definition of "high light".

BTW, thanks to Virc003 for posting all his information. He is a new member, and only lives 3 blocks from me, so he borrowed the meter this afternoon.

#128 ·
Some more outdoor pond measurements, taken last month at about noon:

Just above the surface--1,700
12" below the surface--1,200
24" below the surface--800

I think we may need to change our definition of "high light".

I am not sure about where you live, but many ponds in my area are dark and murky from an abondance of algae. So if we were to have high light similar to outdoors, we would probably have algae soup for a tank

#15 · (Edited)
So an outdoor pond's PAR value is 800 at the substrate (at 2' water depth). How can I have a tank that is so brightly lit at the substrate? How much light do I need? Can I keep it clean and algae-free?

Let's look at Michael's 40 gallon tank (36" x 15" x 16" tall). It's not 2' tall but it is about 3/4 of that. So I will need a PAR reading of 600 to simulate an outdoor pond's 800 PAR hitting the bottom.

And here are the (amusing) numbers:

Michael's tank with 2 light fixtures on top (70 watts of light) receives 97 PAR:
"@ substrate: Measurements with both fixtures: w/ glass 83, w/o glass 97"

So 70 watts = 97 PAR at the substrate.
=> To get 600 PAR to the substrate we will need 6.2 times the light he has now.
6.2 x 70 watts = 433 watts!

No fluoresent bulbs can be crammed on top of a 40 gallon tank to add up 433 watts of light. There isn't enough room. You will need a 400 watt Metal Halide. Now imagine - a 16" tall tank with a huge, hot, 400 watt Metal Halide on top. Right... You are better off just placing the tank outside, under the open sun.

And here's my usual attack at popular half-baked approaches; I want to see a 40 galon tank with 433 watts of light use EI or PPS. In other words - "How do EI and PPS relate to Nature?". Since they are such great and so popular approaches they should let you take care of such a Natural tank, right? Of course not. Needless to say there will be ultra-fast plant growth (4" a day not uncommon with stems), deficiencies developing overnight, and insane work to keep up with this speed demon of a tank in some resemblance of a balance.

Or... You can emulate the outdoor pond:
1. Rich substrate
2. Good flow
3. Water void of nutrients

Game over. If you care to think, that is.

Funny thing, if you go on one of Australian planted tank forums and look for the pictures of the guy that has an outdoor aquarium plant growing facility you will see exactly that: Sun blasting the super clear water, good flow, and tons of super healthy plants... Ah yes, almost forgot - and MUD on the bottom. That's it. How novel.

--Nikolay

#16 ·
Niko, quick correction--the 40 gallon you describe belongs to Virc003, not me. I've been making a few minor changes to my 40, and will post PAR results soon.

I hope everyone is as excited about the club owning a PAR meter as I am. For the first time, we can actually measure light levels, instead of guessing based on wattage, charts, traditional advice, etc. We are all in for some big surprises, and will learn some big lessons.

To Niko's observations on natural light in a pond vs. artificial light in aquaria, I will add another surprise. I've posted PAR info for my 10 gallon--the one that has 60 PAR with just a cheap spiral CF. As an experiment, I put that same fixture on my 40 gallon. Now this tank normally has a dual tube T5 NO Coralife fixture (the brand I love to hate) on it, and it gives about 30-35 PAR at the substrate.

The cheap desk light with the cheap SCF in it gave 60 PAR in the 40 gallon too! So why are we paying $100s for special aquarium fixtures when we can get twice the light for $10 worth of stuff from the hardware store?

#17 ·
Because in this hobby it's a habit to not ask simple questions and go with the flow.

I see that Luis Navarro will be coming to speak on one of the club's meetings. He used to have a 30 gallon cube tank with a 250 watt Metal Halide on top. It would be interesting to hear how he maintained that tank.

--Nikolay

#18 ·
just tested my tank.

par data collection, 10/23/2011.

aquarium size 45 cube (24x18x24)... oceanic.

type of light fixture zoo med 2 bulb t5 h.o.(high output). square reflector both bulbs use the same reflector.

number of bulbs 2 t5 h.o. 24w each bulb so 48w total

age of bulbs 4-5 months old.

other info.
one is a gisemann midday (6,000k) the other is a coralife colormax.

distance from light fixture to substrate is 22 inches. my light fixtures is 2 inches from the top of the tank using the legs that came with it.

the surface par when the sensor being right in the water gave a reading of 71.
at the substrate... the sensor gave me a reading of 22.

comments. I bought the zoomed hoping to have medium light on this tank. it turns out that I only have low light which isn't to bad. the fixture was bought new for 65.00 so it was money well spent.

plants i'm growing are misc- cryptocornye(crypts). , misc anubias, java fern, and some type of hyprophill. the meter was easy to use it reminds me of a engine diagnostics reader. i'm wanting to go to medium- high light. so i have a 4 bulb t5 h.o. light fixture and going to see what the reading are with that.

#19 ·
just did another test on my tank.

par data collection, 10/24/2011.

aquarium size 45 cube (24x18x24)... oceanic.

type of light fixture current sundial 4 bulb t5 h.o.(high output). cured single reflector all bulbs use the same reflector.

number of bulbs 4 t5 h.o. 24w each bulb so 96w total

age of bulbs 4-5 months old on 2 of them, and 2 new bulbs just bought yesterday and put in this morning.

other info.
one is a gisemann midday (6,000k) one a coralife colormax(purpleish/pinkish bulb), and the other 2 are new coralife 6,700k.

distance from light fixture to substrate is 22 inches. my light fixtures is on the top of the tank,can't find the legs that came with it.

the surface par using one new coral life 6,700k and the 4-5 month old color max, when the sensor being right in the water gave a reading of 108.
at the substrate... the sensor gave me a reading of 15.

using the other new coral life 6,700k and gisemann 6,000k at the surface was 107, and soil was 20.

now for the kicker and surprize. all 4 bulbs on. (2 new coral life 6,700k, a 4-5 month old coral life colormax, and a 4-5 month old gisemann 6,000k) - surface was bouncing with numbers from 265- 326 then slow down and gave a 312 reading. at the soil it gave a reading of 53.

comments. I bought the current fixture to put over my saltwater tank, but don't need much light, so i have now switch the fixtures around. the zoo med is on the salt, and the current is on the planted.

plants i'm growing are misc- cryptocornye(crypts). , misc anubias, java fern, and some type of hyprophill. the meter was easy to use it reminds me of a engine diagnostics reader. after the reading, i will be switching the plants out and wanting to trade them for stem plants, and harder to grow fore ground plants.

#20 ·
Ok everyone in the following posts i will give you the readings of 5 of my tanks. it turns out on most of the tanks I am growing nothing more than low light plants but as you will see with the results are really intresting. the last tank in the list will be my 75g and it pearls after the lights have been on for 2 hours and those of you that know i seem to be able to grow almost anything in it which is why i was so suprised with the par readings. Well here it goes

#21 ·
Aquarium size:

Aqua H2O AQ-31 12 1/4"x6 5/8"x8"

Your Zone Bright On LED Desklamp from walmart

single 2.4watt LED with the packageing it came with.

About one month

lamp is 13" from the substrate and 7" from the waters surface.

Surface Par 42
Mid Tank Par 22
Substrate Par 16

Comments:

As for comments here is the rest of the tank specs and everything in the tank is growing fine with no problems. I was also suprised with how bright the tank appeared how low the actual par reading was.

Flora:

Anubius Barteri "petite"
Vesicularia Ferriei
Staurogyne sp. Repens

Fauna:

1x Melanoides tuberculata
3x Planorbis rubrum
multiple Heterandria formosa

Filtration:

Piccotype HOB Standard floss large and fine no carbon.

Substrate:

SMS

If anyone has any questions about this tank just let me know.

#22 ·
Aquarium size:

Standard 10g 20"x10 1/4"x12 1/2"

Standard black plastic 10g incandecent hood with aluminum foil glued into the full underside of the hood

2 bulbs 10watt each U tubes from walmart pets section.

About a year old

Other information:

Color temp is 6,500k

1 1/4" from water surface
12 1/4" from substrate

Surface Par 60
Mid Tank Par 50
Substrate Par 30

Comments:

As for comments on this tank there really isn't any it has been running this way for about a year now and have not had any problems with it algae has been minimum and haven't had any problems.

Flora:

Java moss at mid tank level
Java Fern (narro Leaf) also at mid tank level

Fauna:

Cherry shrimp
Ramshorn snails
MTS

Filtration:

AC 20 with the elite sponge over the intake tube.

Substrate:

Black Diamond Sandblasting Medium 30-60 grit

Any more questions on this tank again just let me know.

#27 ·
Robert, thanks again! Those are great additions to the kit.

As I understand, Tex Gal is next in line for the meter, then she will bring it to the holiday party on the 18th. Maybe Mike and Shane will let us dip the probe into their tanks, which are equiped with variety of lighting types.

I need to write up more of my own results, but I'm waiting for a new camera so that I can post photos of the set-ups. Soon, I promise.

As some may notice, we already changed our borrowing procedures a little. It was inconvenient for members in the far western parts of DFW to return the meter to me between each use, so it has been rotating among them since the last meeting.

Zapins, California might be a little far, but if you pay shipping. . . Seriously, I think the meter has been a great investment for our club, and has given some really surprising results.

#28 · (Edited)
PAR DATA COLLECTION​

Aquarium size: 90 Gallon - 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 25 3/8
Type of light fixture AND reflector: Orbit PC Fixture
Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage: 4x96w
Age of lamps, bulbs, or tubes: 2 - 1+ years, 2 - unknown but brighter
Other information: CurrentUSA 10,000K/6,700K bulbs
Distance from light fixture to surface: 4.5"
Distance from light fixture to substrate: 23.5"
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT UNDER WATER SURFACE:412
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE:64

Aquarium size: 35 gallon Hexagon - 23 1/4 x 20 3/16 x 24 3/4
Type of light fixture AND reflector: Coralife PC Quad Compact Retrofit
Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage: 1x96w
Age of lamps, bulbs, or tubes: 6 months
Other information: Coralife 50%(10,000K)/50%(Actinic)
Distance from light fixture to surface: 1.25"
Distance from light fixture to substrate: 21.5"
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT UNDER WATER SURFACE:211
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE:19

Aquarium size: 10 gallon - 20 1/4 x 10 1/2 x 12 9/16
Type of light fixture AND reflector: Hood with double ended incandescent fixture
Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage: 2x26w Spiral CFL
Age of lamps, bulbs, or tubes: 1 year
Other information: 6500K Generic Bulbs, horizontal position
Distance from light fixture to surface: 2.5"
Distance from light fixture to substrate: 11"
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT UNDER WATER SURFACE:233
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE:45

Aquarium size: 22 gallon - 18"x24"x18"
Type of light fixture AND reflector: Zilla Incandescent Dual Bulb Reptile Fixture, white paint inside
Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage: 2x26w Spiral CFL
Other information:6500K Generic Bulbs, horizontal position
Distance from light fixture to surface: 15"
Distance from light fixture to substrate: 27.5"
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT UNDER WATER SURFACE:300
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE:16

Aquarium size: 29 Gallon - 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4
Type of light fixture AND reflector: All Glass 18" T-8
Number of lamps, bulbs, or tubes, and wattage: 1x18w
Other information: GE Aqua Rays Freshwater 4,400K
Distance from light fixture to surface: 5.5"
Distance from light fixture to substrate: 27.5"
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT UNDER WATER SURFACE:53
PAR VALUES MEASURED AT SUBSTRATE:11

Comments:
Are there other conditions affecting light levels? The water in my 10 gallon gets very yellow at times caused by Tanin. I'm trying to raise CRS and so it's a delicate balance to keep enough acidic and soft yet clear enough for not to filter out the light.

What types of plants do you grow? I have plants in all my tanks including goldfish and marine tank. I grow whatever will grow in my tank.

Was the meter easy to use? The meter was very easy to use. I liked how it logged the samples for later to review.

Were you surprised by the results? Yes. I know the tannin in the water filter the light but I was shocked to see how much light I am really loosing .In my 35 gallon Hex tank, I was surprised how close of PAR value was to the 29 gallon tank. This makes me question the value of actinic in a marine tank.

#30 ·
also on the antic's, note you are using power compacts, and not t5 h.o. from what I read t5 h.o. will give a lot more par, then power compacts.... I would also like to see what MH's will do.

I should of measured my saltwater tank too.

also robert, what zoas/poly's are by the blue green chromis is in the reef tank... if you ever frag some of those i would like to get a frag thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.