Aquatic Plant Forum banner

CAPE Meeting 2/18 at 2pm & Other Upcoming Events

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Riverboa 
#1 ·
This meeting will be held in my fishroom (Fairfield, CT) - pm me if you need directions or wait for the email announcement n the mailing list.

LOTS of things going on this month and the next one, guys! On the 18th, we'll be doing the emersed plant mini-scape activity that the snow got in the way of last month. Bring a small clear container (glass jar, betta bowl, whatever) and any emersed plants/hardscape you have floating around.

Second on the agenda is our club mini-auction. Plants, shrimp, fish, hardscape - anything planted-tank-friendly is welcome. Bring cash if you want to buy - we can't take check or credit! Mini-auction will be a 50/50 with half going to the club fund.

I also got an email this week from Leslie D., the chairwoman of the NEC's annual convention (March 23-25 in Cromwell, CT - go register here!). We're getting three 6-foot tables to set up our planted tank display(s) at the convention. Convention attendees will be voting on their favorite tank (with a prize to the winner) so let me know as soon as possible if you're planning to bring something to the show! We'll be in the same room as the Innes Competition (with the pretty show fish).

There's also a big dealer's room full of fun shopping and the whole convention ends with a massive auction (more shopping!). Also worth noting: Rhonda Wilson, who writes the planted tank column in Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine, will be giving two presentations this year - I highly recommend all you CAPE people go attend.

Furthermore, for those of you who're plotting out their weekends in advance, the Norwalk Aquarium Society's annual spring benefit auction will be on Sun. 3/4.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, I'm planning on coming next Saturday for the meeting.

I went to the website to try and register for the NEC convention and I got a 403 error message. In any case, is there a fee to attend? It looks like it might be $38. Also, is there anywhere we can find a schedule of events?

Another question: will we be allowed to sell stuff at our tables, or is that only allowed by dealers in the dealer room? Do we sell through the auction instead?

Thanks!

#3 ·
See you then, Luke!

As for the convention, the cost depends on what you're registering for. There's a package that includes everything (all the meals, all the talks, a T-shirt and registration kit, etc.) for $130. If you just want access to the events and talks (plus bonus Saturday breakfast & speaker), the all-weekend registration is $68. There's a Friday-only option for $48, too.

However, attending the auction is free (except I think there might be a $2 fee if you want a bidder/vendor card, but that's chump change LOL). Also you can get into the dealer's room whether you're registered or not. Gordon's going to be in the vendor room selling plants. Other notable vendors that will be there include Ken's Fish, Frank's Aquarium, and Harris in Wonderland. Msjinkzd was there last year, I'll have to check to see if she's going to be here this year as well...

As for us selling stuff, that's going to be for the auction. Our tables are a display gig, and no one's expressed enough interest for us to warrant getting a vendor's room table.
(Or you could just sell whatever it is at our mini-auction this weekend!)

#4 ·
The reason I ask is because Don, who works at Slither and Swim in West Haven, expressed interest in joining our club and also getting a wholesale plant order from Florida and selling them there. I told him he would have to talk to you, but if we had a vendor table perhaps we could work out a split with him so that the club gets some of the proceeds from his plant sales. Anyway, it's just an idea he and I had, and if you'd prefer, I'll tell him to get his own vendor table.

#6 ·
I will be bringing:

• MGOPS (potting soil)
  • Various bits of rock, wood, etc (hardscape)
  • Emersed m. minuta, s. repens, e. acicularis (dwarf hairgrass), anubias nana, c. parva
  • Tahitian moonsand (black sand)

I hope everyone brings some of their own hardscape and plants so we can swap around a bit. See you all there.

#7 ·
2pm, yes.

As for Slither & Swim, I'll gladly buy a couple plants if they get a table, but you should probably let them know that there are other people already doing much the same thing (and with FAN plants, too).

Unless we can get some serious manpower in the volunteer department, I don't think setting up the display and having a vendor table is possible...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.