Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Filtration Capacity...This is ONLY a Test...
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
mudboots

iTrader Ratings: 16
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
mudboots is a regular member
Default re: Filtration Capacity...This is ONLY a Test...

Here's the first set of pics. The bulbs are "Daylight" and I am pretty impressed with the color spectrum...very crisp and clean...

You can also see that the filtration rate is between 60-90 liters per hour, which is just under 10x the flow per the actual water capacity of the tank. The volume of the filter is about a cup, which isn't much IMHO. Filter media is a bunch of coarse black sponge, and you can imagine just how little actually can fit in there since the plumbing takes up a lot of the available space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	17629

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	17630

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	17631

Okay, so do your best to disregard the Darth-Vader look of the 10 gallon hood sitting on the 3 gallon aquarium...remember This is ONLY a Test...

You've seen the specs already, so here's the routine. I do 50% water change every other day and use tap water with a tiny bit of water conditioner. The plant sps are Anubias sps and 2 Crypt sps that were grown emmersed elsewhere. I have a lot of Anubias because I know I can count on it's emmersed leaves to decay pretty slowly compared to most others I've dealth with, and I knew it's transition would still be going strong well into the filter capacity test.

As you will see in the pics, the lighting, high organics and overfeeding, even with 50% water changes every two days, and approximately 10x water flow, has left a lot to be desired. The tank water is pretty green, and I had just changed it prior to taking these pictures.

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	17632

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	17633
mudboots is offline   Reply With Quote