Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Filtration Capacity...This is ONLY a Test...
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
mudboots
Senior Member
 
mudboots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 2,069
iTrader Ratings: 16
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
mudboots is a regular member
Default re: Filtration Capacity...This is ONLY a Test...

For the test filter, I took my spare 10 gallon tank, a small 5-drawer Sterlite organizer, 5 ft of 1/2" ID tubing, 8 ft of 3/8" ID tubing, some 1/2" pvc pipe, and a water pump.

The pump is rated at 150gph at 0-head and runs down to 0gph at 4.1'. In order to get my flow "close enough" to the original flow rate I needed have between 40-44" of head. I ended up with 42", and ran the pump outlet through the old filter's intake, which has a baffle built in for variable flow rates. I have it pretty darn close to what it was...

Here's about what I did...

Step 1 - move all of this mess to a room less likely to encounter a kick from a child, which would result in unhappiness.

Then I built an overflow. I did not drill a check-valve tap like I have seen elsewhere. The purpose is to get the air out and the water in, over the edge of the tank. This overflow is small enough that I could just turn the whole assemply under water in such as way as to release the air myself, then I plugged it all up until it was set in position. Then I opened up my hole at the end cap to prevent the siphon effect, and attached the drain hose. Perfect...the second time around...I made a couple of mistakes in the design at first, but that's another discussion altogether.

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	17634

You can see the the water is slightly about the top of the pipe. This has to do with physics and with the flow rate. In a larger volume aquarium it's not all that big a deal, but in something this small it means the difference between an aquarium and a mess on the dresser and floor. It's function is a typical overflow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	17635

And this is the exit...

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	17636

It drains into the new filter, which would be like a sump. The stack organizer acts as a wet/dry set up. I had to play with the number of holes for the flow rate, but have about 1/2" of water in each of the top three trays. The bottom 2 are removed because they are at the water level.

Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	17637

Tray 1 is what was in the original filter. It hardly even looks like there's anything in there, and I did this only to demonstrate I have maintained the same flow rate, and now have my original filtration media, plus now beneath that I have another filter insert, and then a mass of poly-fiber. It's a polyester curtain screen fabric that's been in a box for many years. Melinda told me not to throw them out because we'd eventually use them...this is probably not what she had in mind
Click image for larger version

Name:	010 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	285
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	17638

Continued...
mudboots is offline   Reply With Quote