Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - New 30 gallon Emergency tank (long sorry)
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
T-Bone

iTrader Ratings: 0
T-Bone is a regular member
Default New 30 gallon Emergency tank (long sorry)

I posted a little while back about my angels showing breeding tendancies. I really wanted to buy a new big tank. But als I really don'yt have the money for that at this point in time. I tried searching for a used tank in the personals. But I couldn't find a suitable tank for a reasonable price. But the angels were getting increasingly aggressive towards my black angel. So I knew time was running out (allthough i thought I had more time) They were just chasing at forst no real aggression. I settled for a 30 gallon high. (the pet store owner graciously took a 29 gallon starter kit and swapped the tanks for the same price, yay "Pet Boutique" ! I wanted something bigger but I just can't afford anything better at this time (I can't really afford this either )

So I bought it and then built a stand for it myself for 20 bucks for all materials. I set it up last night. I really wanted to do a fishless cycle. But there is just no time. Because I got home today and "Sly" my black angel, is shredded . I mean just torn up, his fins are mangled and he's missing scales.

I origionally took a couple of danios from my 29 gallon (regular) to cycle the new tank (30tall). I dont want to put too much stress on the other fish. I of course took water and sponges from my 55 and 29 to speed things up. But I just wanted to take it as slow as I could (thinking I had more time) So now I put my neons and phantoms along with the danios' in the 30 gallon high. Rescued sly from my 55 and put him into the 29. The 29 has a couple cories.
Sly is now in the corner of my 29 just sitting in one spot I put some melafix in the water to hopefully help him heal.

I realize I didn't do things right because I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. But am i doing right now? I don;t want to plunk my breeding pair of angels into an uncycled tank. Nor my battered and bashed outcast angel. I do care about my neons and danios too (dont get me wrong) I jsut beieve they are heardy enough to weather this out. I also cant have my black angel in with my other fish in the 29 they are too small I believe. Nor will the bio load support all those little fish AND a fully grown angel. I also cant wait weeks for a fishless cycle to end.

Can I do anything else? I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I feel pretty crappy about the whole situation right now. Will plants from my other tanks help right now? I have a whole bunch of stem plants.

My tentative plan is to have my paired angels go into the 30 gallon tall. All by themselves. I know they may eat their brood but I'll slay that dragon if it gets to that point. Some angels I have read make pretty good parents or may eat the eggs then become good parents. So they breed and Ill have the fry in there untill they can survive on their own then transfer them to the 55 so they can grow out? or use the 10 gallon hospitol tank? buy another, cheap as possible, grow out, bare bottom, bare minimum tank?...that I cant afford............I'm screwed arent I?
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]