Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Aquavitro Synthesis, ammonia & black thread algae
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 02:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tsin21

iTrader Ratings: 0
Tsin21 is a regular member
Default Aquavitro Synthesis, ammonia & black thread algae

Hi! I have some questions about Aquavitro Synthesis. As background info, my tank is 30 gallons, moderately planted (the community tank in my signature) and fully cycled. I have been dosing it at 1ml thrice a week along with activate, propel & potassium, flourish is dosed twice a week and excel daily. Tank is CO2 injected and with good flow from the HOB and small powerhead in the tank. Partial water changes are done every week.

I have been using the Aquavitro Synthesis for about a year and plant growth was great. But lately I have noticed that it is smelling exactly like ammonia which I don't remember from before. Though the fishes are acting fine during dosing. I think the expiration date is on Dec 2018, would this still be safe to use? Is it normal for it to smell like that?

I've read that some of its nitrogen are "ammoniacal" in form and it seems that black thread algae loves it since they have taken over my whole tank. Like completely rebounding in a few days after removal. Does the ammoniacal form encourages algae?

As for this past week, I temporarily stopped dosing Synthesis, manually removed the thread algae, spot treated with H2O2 and upped the dosage of excel. The thread algae haven't returned (crossed fingers). My nitrates are fluctuating from 10-20mg/l and phosphates are at 1-2mg/l.
Tsin21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]