Aquatic Plant Central - View Single Post - Need help with aquascape ROOM design (College edition!)
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
hoppycalif

iTrader Ratings: 22
iTrader Positive Rating: 100%
hoppycalif is a valuable member of the community hoppycalif is a valuable member of the community hoppycalif is a valuable member of the community
Default Re: Need help with aquascape ROOM design (College edition!)

After reading the posts in that other forum, I recalled a kitchen project I did many years ago. I built two long kitchen cabinets to just fit in my kitchen. I build them in the basement. When I was ready to install them I finally started thinking about how I could get them up to the kitchen. I ended up moving one out onto the sidewalk in front, then waiting for someone strong enough to be helpful to walk by, and persuaded him to help me carry them up the front stairs to the kitchen. It worked out fine, but I probably lost 10 pounds by sweating out the wait for a "helper".

Since then I have always built cabinets in much smaller units, which I could handle alone. For what you need you could use relatively cheap 3/4 inch thick plywood to build cabinet "boxes", open in front for doors or drawers. That is a much easier project and it lends itself to spreading out the work over several weeks. Even cheaper is building the smaller cabinets as 2x4 frames and using plywood only for the top and front. When you attach them together, side by side, as you install them, you end up with a well braced carcass, able to hold anything, and spreading the weight over the entire length of the string of cabinets.
hoppycalif is offline   Reply With Quote