Originally Posted by mysiak
If I'm not mistaken, that's true in pure water only. Tank water contains many soluble inpurities, they must somehow at least partially react to electrolysis. Something like NaCl water solution creates Hydrogen and Chlorine gas.
Oxygen/ozone should oxydise anything it comes to contact with, so in theory also established algae. H2O2 destroys any algae on direct contact, cloud of bubbles should do similar damage (well, to lesser extent, otherwise it would be dangerous to livestock/plants too).
IMHO, if the device is really effective as it claims to be, it must be dangerous to livestock in the long term usage. If it's completely safe even with the most delicate shrimp or plants, it is probably just a gimmick.
No, electrolysis doesn't work in pure water. It needs electrolytes like salts to work. There might be other chemicals produce but it's small like the salts in freshwater. You can't create more matter that wasn't there.
Yeah, I wouldn't use it all the time like too much H2O2. Though, the O2 bubbles need to stick to established algae for it too work. H2O2 is better that way. Hmmm, maybe that's how plants ward off algae on their leaves. They produce O2 on site to oxidize the algae.