Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 gallon fish bowl was just too small for the plants I received. I found a 3+ gallon jar laying around and decided to put it to use.

3+ gallon jar - 12" tall, 28" around

1 bunch of water sprite - about 10"-12" tall - 11 stems from the root mass + few new shoots

12 individual stalks of wisteria - ranging from 3" to 8"+

Tag along bonus from the fish store!! 1 leaf of duckweed has now multiplied into about 8. I have read that it doubles in mass every 16 hours in ideal conditions. Some people consider it a pesky plant to have in the tank. But I have a goldfish tank that can help me out with any excess. Also snagged some mosquito fern!! Haven't rad much about it, but have heard it gets its name due to growing so thick on water surfaces that mosquitoes cannot penetrate to lay eggs. Last but not least

The wisteria is still a touch too tall for this container (12" high container, minus, 2" soil and gravel cap). It has straightened out and is now emerged from the surface of the water.

I have a pothos in my window, so I took a few cuttings and should have roots within the week. I wrapped it around the top of the container...looks a little fancy. LoL!

The water is from my goldfish tank. It is way overstocked. This brings me to a good question..
The walstad jar I have made has a 1" soil bottom, capped with gravel from a goldfish aquarium that has been running for 6 years. The water in the walstad jar is also from my goldfish aquarium. Would this be considered pre-cycled? can I put a few cherry shrimp in there right away?

Same light as before..el cheapo 15w, 5 band, blind you for a little while, led with goosneck lampholder. Just realized it still has the plastic on the neck.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
"Would this be considered pre-cycled? can I put a few cherry shrimp in there right away?"

Depends on the soil. If you used mellow, mineralized soil with moderate organic content, then yes. If you used "hot", nutrient rich, highly organic soil, then no. The later will require time and water changes before it is safe.

In either case, be prepared to do emergency water changes. Fortunately this is easy with a 3 gallon container.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I forgot to load the picture.

And yes, the soil would be "hot". I took it from a potted plant that was only given water from my fish tank. I strained the debris and kept whatever sank. Filled, strained and drained about 5 times over a 3 day period.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read a lot of different answers on the internet, but sometimes it's best just to talk to someone with experience. Hoping you can answer some more questions I have.
-Will I want to change X amount of the water out everyday?
-Can I use my goldfish aquarium water for top ups?
The goldfish aquarium is not planted and the external filter system is often a mess because of the amount of fish. I have had them for 6, almost 7 years now.
can boiled and cooled water be used to fill if the goldfish water is not suitable? The goldfish water has lots of waste when I do water changes.
-Would adding fresh water and not goldfish water speed up the breaking down of the soil so i can add shrimp earlier?

Much thanks for your help! What a great hobby, eh!?!!

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
The soil should be fine, especially if the plant was not fertilized in a long time.

Assuming everything is normal, you do not need to change the water everyday. A partial water change once every week or two should be plenty. Observe the shrimp closely--if they seem stressed or hang at the surface, do a large water change.

Do not use the water from the goldfish tank for top-ups or water changes. Use tap water that has been treated with dechlorinator and allowed to sit overnight. Frequent water changes will help if the soil needs more time to break down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
updates:

Here you can see some of the space that is not being taken up by plants. They actually have a lot of room to fill in. Some of the wisteria has come up.

Here you can see some duckweed. I started with a single leaf and now about 2 weeks later I have 12-16 duckweed pads. The mosquito fern I thought I identified is pretty much gone....a few sprigs of it left. Also, you can see some of the water sprite floating around. Some have roots and some don't. The ones that don't have not began to rot or anything, so I'm hoping they'll grow roots.

This is a little rooted, floater I stuck in the gravel. It's directly below the light and not obstructed by anything. From what I've read this thing should take off! On the mid-left you can see a nice shoot coming from the water sprite. Very exciting!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts