Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Rolo, I have never seen a 10,000 K PC. I have seen 14,000 and 20,000K MH and they produce a really blue light, but not as blue as actinics. Does the 10,000K produce a nice crisp white light? The 6500K's I have look white when viewing the lights, but the tank looks a little yellowish.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm reviving this post with a couple questions: For anyone out there using the 10,000K PC's:

Have you found this temperature to be detrimental to your plant growth? I believe I read that plants with red pigments will not look good with this type of light.

Has anyone mixed 6500K with 10,000K and what have been the results?

I would like to try the 8800K, but they are square pin configuration and I have straight pin PC bulbs.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Rolo,

I have a fixture from Pet Supply Liquidators- A 48" 4X55W PC fixture. Where did you find the 8800K straight pin bulbs? I believe 65W will work on my fixture (correct me if I am wrong)? I like the look of Amano's tanks, where he has a whiter versus yellower light. I think Jeff Senske mentioned in another post that Amano uses 8000K HQI in his tanks.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Pics would be great. I currently have the 6500K from Pet Supply Liquidators, and though they look white when viewing them directly, they look yellow in the tank. In the past I had a 29gal straight pin PC with 55W 7100K Jalli lights. They did have more of a white appearance, so that is an option as well. The only other issue I have to figure out was the fact that two of my PC's burned out in a 6-7 month lifespan. It could have been some bad bulbs, but the fixture I have doesn't have fans built in. I don't know if I can wire up some fans, as there is not really any room for a transformer, and I don't know if I can wire them to one of the existing ballasts. Maybe I can get away with a small clip on fan that will blow some heat off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.