Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very nice tanks! Your plants look really healthy just need more time to grow and to cover all the tanks :p

Where did you buy those light fixtures?
I had a hard time to find the right size for my nanos here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice tanks! Your plants look really healthy just need more time to grow and to cover all the tanks :p

Where did you buy those light fixtures?
I had a hard time to find the right size for my nanos here.
Thank you for the kind words, the plants are quite healthy indeed! I had a deficiency on the limnophila but it's perking up after I up'd the flourish dose. The flame moss is starting to grow the fronds up but the fissidens is going to take a while.

The one for the 10 gallon is a Coralife aqualight, can be found pretty much anywhere. The one for the 4 gallon however is from catalinaaquarium.com. You can purchase a fixture for pretty much any tank there. In fact I would've gotten the 10 gallon fixture there too had I known about them earlier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your 10g tank very impressed me with your setup, especially you can grow HC in submerge form. I try many times but not successful. May I know what is the light wattage for your 10g tank, cause I still want to try growing HC again. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your 10g tank very impressed me with your setup, especially you can grow HC in submerge form. I try many times but not successful. May I know what is the light wattage for your 10g tank, cause I still want to try growing HC again. Thanks in advance.
I didn't find HC hard to grow, I find it harder to plant lol. It helped a ton when I switched to high light though, in low light it was just....ehh looking.

I'm using a 40 watt PC bulb that I bought from Big Al's fitted into a Coralife Aqualight 28 watt fixture. If you're starting a 10 gallon, I highly recommend this lighting.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another route is going with Catalina Aquarium's lighting, in fact, I might even say I prefer Catalina.

Reason is because 10000k bulbs tend to promote algae growth and the 40 watt pc from BigAls is 6700k with 10000k.
You can choose the bulbs with Catalina Aquarium. They even have a fixture that houses 2x 36w bulbs if you want to do a hang over setup which I might do for my next tank.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/index.php?cPath=71_76

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Re: 10 gallon and 4 gallon nanos! UPDATE: 9-18-08!

Well this needed an update, I got some bad news and some good news.

Bad news first, my 10 gallon's HC got owned by clado so I had to overdose excel that area. It killed the clado but also killed most of the HC. It's in the process of regrowth right now.

Good news is I got some new residents in both my tanks. Some spotted rasboras for the 4 gallon and some CRS for the 10 gallon. The scaping has changed a bit for both tanks, i'll post photos of them we're they're a bit more grown in.

Until then, enjoy the fauna! Also included is a teaser of my snowball shrimp tank and forgive the shots of the spotted rasboras with the algae infested glass!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts