Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a low tech with 2 15 watt spiral CF's that has mosses some duckweed ferns and anubias. I'm thinking about getting a med size potted plant to throw in behind some rocks in there. What should I do with a potted plant when I put it in the tank? Leave it in the pot I bought it in? Maybe some sand or gravel from another tank in a clay/plastic pot with a root tab? And any good ideas on the plant? I'm thinking a sword of some kind. The rocks up front are about 6 inches high and the tank is 12 inches tall so I'd like it to fit right in that area with the stems and pot hiding behind the rocks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I suggest to transfer the potted plants out of the rock and into teracotta pots with sifted potting soil with a sand cap. Your root feeders will thank you. Why are you going bare bottom and not have a substrate?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This tank has seen many phases. Black sand, red gravel then brown. I had a lot of plants die off when I moved and this is the last tank to be back up and running after the move. I've been somewhat a fan of bare bottoms so I thought why not? This has always been a low tech tank and now it will need even less attention without cleaning out the gravel. If I do add subtrate it'll be just in front of the rocks for some foreground plants. And Epolmmer, I like the way you you think. I guess I just need a little help on what to do with the plant rather then selecting it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
So does it take a certain amount of water movement to keep "dust" from accumulating on the bare glass? Also, what is your nutrient source, or do you even need one beyond the little bit you'll have for those species of plants and your lighting?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no ferts only thing driving it is the waste from the few fish that are in there. There's a small cheap filter on the tank with no media in it and a water bottle cut in half to slow the out flow. I've had to net a few things off the bottom like dust and such but its a breeze to clean. I've added some rotala and an amazon sword while I'm still waiting on my duckweed to complete the plants. Only thing I plan on adding is a half moon or crown tail male betta.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts