Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can run a power head to create water wave in the tank but without filtration is not advisable. The filter is to clean the water of debris and suspended particles, remove ammonia and nitrites and aerate the water. So this will keep your livestock survive in the tank. If you already have the power head, than you can buy a over head filter box that place on the top of the tank. Connect the power to the filter and clean water return to the tank, that's what I did for my tank.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ammonia and nitrates are food for the plants. But I do see that many have had problems with filter less tanks due to a lack of water movement. I think I will go with a small internal filter, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
307 Posts
some people have planted aquariums with no filter. uses few fish like a bunch of tetras only and a lot of plants (jungle style). The aquariums is clean. Need water changes every week and not disturb subtrate

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Depending on bioload, you'll want both mechanical and biological filtration. If you put a pre-filter sponge on the powerhead and rinse it out weekly or so, I think you should be fine. Rinse it out in old tank water, not new tap water! :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
The simple answer is is yes, it can be done. However, it takes more care to be successful as simple over feeding of livestock can have nasty effects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts