Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm using 4 26 watt GEs over my 10 gallon in a custom HDPE hood with an aluminum foil reflector. I have two standard bulbs and two 6500K daylights. The color is great and the plants pearl like no one's business. I'm growing a thin film of diatoms but I think it is more a result of my homebrew CO2 dying than the lights.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here's my hood. It's some high density polyethylene that my dad has laying around. The reflector is just some heavy duty aluminum foil. The cord, plugs, and porcelains were bought at Home Depot or Lowes, don't remember which. I doubt I'm seeing 100 watts of real light, but it sure beats having a standard fluorescent hood. The outer bulbs are normal whites, the two inside are daylights. I left the gap so I can expand it to 6 bulbs if I end up feeling the need. If I can find a 2 light, electronic ballasted 18 inch T8 fixture I'd just do 4 ODNO bulbs. Unfortunately, locally I haven't seen a fixture to work with.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The color of the standard bulbs was horribly yellow, much too yellow for my liking. The daylights are more for me than the plants, as performance really didn't change with the bulb swap. As for the green spectrum not mattering, Amano theorized that due to the shade that the majority of aquatic plants live in, they have evolved to utilize green more than initially anticipated. Honestly, I don't really care what the spectral output of a bulb is. I have had the same results between a 10 watt/gallon mercury vapor lamp, a 4 watt/gallon ODNO fluorescent setup over my 55 gallon, and this setup over this 10 gallon. All three grow plants, and grow them well. My thoughts are, the brighter the tank looks, the happier your plants most likely are. It's a little oversimplified, but if more people just broke it down to the nuts and bolts, the confusion would end rather quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.