Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
heres another design for you to look at this has worked very well for me using the GE daylight bulbs from walmart

the reflector is made with flashing spray painted with a very high gloss super white paint with an extra two parts white from Sherwin Williams

· Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I miss the full spectrum daylight bulbs that used to be sold in Wal*Mart. Now they only sell the GE CFL's. This version bulb works great in my 10 gallon tank, but if I use it elsewhere in my house it gives off a slightly bluish white light.

The older full spectrum daylight bulb did not have the spirals but more straight like the colormax bulbs. Gave off a nice white light like the sun which was great in the Schenectady, Upstate New York area in the middle of winter. Nice sunlight like glow. I still have one package left.

I know fellow APC members on the West Coast can still find this type of bulb.

I can't figure out why we can't find them in stores in Upstate New York. Darned annoying.

By the way, I love the DIY electrical stuff. Someday I will do so myself. Haven't yet. Electricity, wiring, plastic, water, me. If I am not scared yet, I should be. (ha,ha)

· Registered
32 Posts
I miss the full spectrum daylight bulbs that used to be sold in Wal*Mart. Now they only sell the GE CFL's. This version bulb works great in my 10 gallon tank, but if I use it elsewhere in my house it gives off a slightly bluish white light.

The older full spectrum daylight bulb did not have the spirals but more straight like the colormax bulbs. Gave off a nice white light like the sun which was great in the Schenectady, Upstate New York area in the middle of winter. Nice sunlight like glow. I still have one package left.

I know fellow APC members on the West Coast can still find this type of bulb.

I can't figure out why we can't find them in stores in Upstate New York. Darned annoying.

By the way, I love the DIY electrical stuff. Someday I will do so myself. Haven't yet. Electricity, wiring, plastic, water, me. If I am not scared yet, I should be. (ha,ha)
Yeah, I have the GE CFLs for my computer room and it gives off a greenish blue hue when it's not strong enough.
BTW I like your vase :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.