Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Looks like it worked! ;)

Not to bad Jimbo, some healthy growth and plants you got there in the tank. May I ask why you have nearly half the tank filled with so much gravel?

-John N.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:laser: To kill the plants and fish with. :twisted:

My wife always asked the same question. :pound:

Some stupid thing I read somewhere (probably dumb Barron's - Plants for Your Aquarium Book) about using roughly 3 inches of substrate. The Seachem Onyx I have finally come to appreciate what it does for the KH of my water, with my tap water having good GH, but the gravel pieces are much larger than they should be. The batch I got. Oh well.

Also, I came back from a 7 day vacation with my engineer buddy feeding the fish. The guy warned me that he has killed a cactus. Although he has a great understanding of organic chemistry - I just need to get him an aquarium. Well, I told him feeding fish food about the size of a dime would be enough. Whoops! Well, the Mollies are fine. But my beautiful 4 Neons are missing.

I am very tempted to put the Mollies at the bottom of all the substrate to be fertilizer for my plants. I won't. But I am tempted. Plants don't eat plants. But Fish will and sometimes do eat fish. Stupid Fish.

Right now I like plants much better than fish.

If going to the LFS was not such a massive pain in the ass, I would trade in my huge Mollies for some tiny Neons or maybe some Raspboras.

Right now getting to the Local Fish Store with my 5 gallon bucket filled with my harvested Rotala Rotundifolia Green to exchange for some Seachem Excel is going to be a pain. Need to do it though. I am just in a grumpy mood tonight.

I now have my 10 gallon tank in front of the window. You should see the eclipse of light in the tank now in the daytime! I hope that Diana Walstad idea pays off!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thats going to be a great jungle in a few weeks, nice tank.

About the deep substrate bed, I've once heard that having that much substrate could eventually cause a very anaerobic environment at the bottom, producing toxic chemicals (H2S, and other sulphur compounds).
I dont know if it's entirely true, but it might be worth looking up fot it.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LordSul, thank you.

You want to heard the weirdest? I just learned over the weekend that if you go fishing, and bury some fish in your dirt in your vegetable garden - the corn will grow SIGNIFICANTLY taller and better.

Lucky for my Mollies that I am not currently growing corn in my backyard Square Foot Garden! But what do you think? Euthanize them (freezer) and then bury them for fertilizer? Naah... I just don't want my fish to eat my other fish.... I am such a softie...

BUT, my very nice neighbor came by the house while I was working and dropped some of his catch from his fishing trip. Very nice gesture. I looked in the fridge. Bleech! Dead Fish! I can't crush the guy. I have no clue how to clean or skin fish. I can microwave, fry or broil.

Hunters, Fisherman and Biologists! What a different mindset! I guess I have to be in the mood to cut up a dead fish to cook and then eat it.

Any of you guys have experience with this?

·
Registered
194 Posts
My grandfather would put a fish under each of his tomato plants each year when he planted them. Ended up with wonderful plants that beat out everyone else in the area for health, size, and produce. I'm sure it would work for other plants like corn.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I do this, will animals try to dig it up? Or will it make the compost smell worse than normal?

Meanwhile my Local Fish Store, God bless them took the entire 5 gallon bucket of my harvested plants and will give me store credit for whatever. I pretty much just want Seachem Excel. Most other things if I want badly enough I will just pay for. Seachem Excel is the most useful, and I feel better knowing that they have a good supply. I just dropped of the container on the way to work, and this way they can process it when they have time or the specific staff person can process it the way they want to. Can't wait to eventually see what it looks like in their tanks. I gave them a ton.
Soon, I look forward to learning how to grow something different than Rotala Rotundifolia Green. Then I can learn some other stupid latin name. I do love the bright green color though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I really don't know. Probably depends on the animals in your area and how deep you bury it. Unfortunately my grandfather passed away while I was a small child, so I don't know all the details and specifics of how he used the fish. I don't remember the garden having a fishy smell, so it's probably just a matter of burying it at the right depth.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You do realize you have enough gravel in there for 3 or 4 ten gallon tanks? If that was a 55 gallon , yea I'd say 3 inches, but its only a little tiny ten like I have. You only need an inch , inch and a half in there.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I know.

I found the criminal. Extremely aggressive Molly with Huge Fins. I finally had it when the small Black Molly with a gorgeous Lyretail was missing yesterday. Down to the last 2 and the aggressive one was one of them. Might explain why I have never found any more fry in such a long time, with all the attention he has been showing the females, I should have had tons of fry.

Well, he is now in a Betta Bowl with a plant. Not happy, but seems healthy. From the size of him I hope to exchange him at the Local Fish Store for 4-6 Neons or Raspboras. Now I just need to make time between work and family to get to the Store with the Criminal.

I hope to find him a happy home.

Other than a gravel bed 3X's the depth than is the norm, Does anyone have suggestions for growing the Dwarf Sag faster or as fast as the Rotala? I like my Java Fern and Rotala, but would love a carpet of Dwarf Sag in my tank.
My selection of plants locally are extremely limited. I like to find plants that I have had success with or could easily and expand upon that.

My Betta Bowl at the Office has an Anubias that I just plain absolutely love with the Dwarf Sag doing wonderfully.

Any suggestions on Plants?

With only one Molly left which I may transfer to my 27 Gallon Half Hex, I will be cutting back on my fish food feeding quite a bit. That should take care of the snail overpopulation I have been experiencing lately.

Some suggestions from the El Naturale forums have consequences that are unexpected. I took the suggestion of being generous with feeding fish food and never expected a snail explosion!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Haha at snail explosion. First thing Id do is get rid of some of the substrate. Give those plants room to grow and see what happens. And off some of those snails in the process. Liberal feedings work if you have something to liberarly feed. Have I told you I'm jelous of your betta bowl?

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Morbida! No, I am glad that you like it.

My Son's Betta which is in the 'small' Betta Bowl on the counter where he gets tons of attention may have won the 10 Gallon Tank!

Will a Betta get along with Neons or Raspboras?

I don't mind him having the whole tank. But I may eventually get to the Local Fish Store to get some small fish. But you know what people eventually say to a tank with no fish in it - "Where is your fishies?"

So just for right now, screw the fish.

What do I need to do to make my Dwarf Sag explode along the bottom? I think it may be doing okay, I just want it to grow as fast as the Rotala. (It is possible that NOTHING grows as fast as Rotala - I just don't know yet!)

Honestly, I never heard of too much substrate before. After all, what do you think I used to bury underneath it before - for bio-available carbon Fast Food (that's what Diana called it) - TRIMMINGS! After all if it is 40% carbon - why not? I found in the past if I did mess with the substrate these cool bubbles would come up. I assume it was CO2.

So you guys REALLY think the substrate being 3 inches deep is bad for the plants?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Those bubble's are not co2 , those are the evil stinky gassy bubbles you dont want. Sell your trimmings for the price of shipping or lay them out and let them dry up before tossing them.
Do a tank overhaul. Yea for right now you can say screw the fish. Stop feeding the tank and the snails will croak, and plant munch, so you have to watch it. Good excuse to , 'where's the fish" is 'Im killing pest snails'.

You are a brave person,Jim. Braver then I be. Oh and a betta , depending on personality , which means you will have to watch what goes on in the tank , should live fine with neons. But if there are any problems pull the betta and put him back in his regular home.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
As for Rasboras, some of the guys over on the bettaforums swear by the Harlequins in combo with a betta.

Stay away from the danios or other fin nippers though. They'll enrage even the most placid betta.

I plan on adding a cory to my betta tank soon. They're a pretty safe choice.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Morbida, you saw my tank; can I see yours?

:cool: [smilie=u: [smilie=w: :happy: :bump2:

I could not find it in your profile or in your gallery.

If you have any questions about how to do this, the user manual is semi-okay (it is not easy to delete photos I found out the hard way); and John N. is fantastic with helping out when us non-computer programmer, non-chemists, non-biologists need help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Right now my tank is very pitiful looking. And no camera to take any pics with. ( I am also secretly having a love affair with one little crypt ;) , dont tell the java fern.)
Soon enough I'll show ya the tank , I want to let things recover from moving and have a chance to grow.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Hmmm, doesn't look like you've got the whole link copied before you paste it into your post.
There should be a .jpg or .bmp or something that looks like a graphic file extension at the very end of the link. Instead all you have are some letters followed by a dash.
If you're having trouble copying the link, click your cursor into the field where the link is, hold down the ctrl key and press "a." That'll select the whole thing, then you can use ctrl+c to copy it so you can paste it as a proper link. ;)
I'm anxious to see whatever tank it is you're about to show us. :D

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally rediscovered my PhotoBucket that I signed up with at the same time that I signed up with APC. I just never used it or learned how to because I didn't think I 'had' to.
For whatever reason MS Spaces doesn't let you link or post from their site to APC.
Learning curve.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well now that I have photoBucket all set up, from the looks of my tank right now after vacation, I don't really want to post a photo of it.

I have my tank in front of my west facing window based on information from Diana Walstad's book about sunlight being beneficial for the plants. The Rotala as usual is doing fine. The Dwarf Sag I would like to spread faster and flourish more. My Java Fern which was in such good condition about a month ago now has algae all over it.

I am not sure if this was caused by my week vacation where I was not able to dose my supplements or if it may be caused by the sunlight from the window. I closed my shades for tonight to see if this for a day helps.

Also, I love very bright colors in all my plants, garden and tanks. Bright Green, Bright Blue, Bright Red, Bright Yellow. So after I get my plants to grow or survive, thrive and multiply I need to figure out how to get my Bright Rotalafolia Green, my Java Fern and my Dwarf Sag to look good with my Bright Blue Seachem Onyx Substrate. I would love someday to have a Bright Red Plant to mix it all up. I am thinking of grading the substrate more from Back to Front. I have never done anything with rocks before. Would Lava Rocks work (the small ones from the barbeque bags) or a HUGE one from the Local Fish Store.

I also gave my tank a double dose of Potassium Monobasic Phosphate and Potassium Nitrate along with a double dose of Monday's schedule of Seachem supplements. Should this give my Dwarf Sag and Java Fern the kick start I want? And will doing a blackout for a day or two help get rid of the algae on the Java Fern.

I also finally put the last Molly in my 27 Gallon tank with all the other Mollies. And I shut off my filter. The mean Molly is still in a tiny Betta Bowl on the counter. I will eventually get him to the LFS.

So what do you ladies and gentlemen think? Suggestions?

And lastly if any of you know where I can find an attractive CO2 Bell, please let me know, thanks. I love the Glass diffusers and think a CO2 Bell would just look beautful.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts