Aquatic Plant Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just checked out how your tank has progressed since you first posted it and it's looking good! MacFan offered some good advice and i think it's pretty cool how he hooked you up with some plants. Just keep in mind some of the most important advise he gave you was to keep doing regular water changes, it will make all the difference in the world!! Keep up the good work my fellow Colorado plant enthusiast.
By the way, you might want to get a hold of the guys down at Aquamart in Lakewood to get signed up to join a local plant club they are working on starting if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Your leaves all look very clean/algae free. Good job!

-Dave

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
thank you! the advice from MacFan has been so invaluable, and I have never loved my fishtank more!!

the leaves are algae free thanks to the new plants from MacFan and I completely tore all of the algae infected plants out, nothing was getting rid of it...

thank you all for looking at this thing!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Looking good. BTW, apparently that isn't water sprite I sent you, but I don't know what it is. Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

Michael

·
Registered
525 Posts
Looking good. BTW, apparently that isn't water sprite I sent you, but I don't know what it is. Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

Michael
I think it looks like CABOMBA http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...details.php?id=60&category=genus&spec=Cabomba I am usaully wrong but hey some one can corect me later=0)

Blyxia took awhile to take hold in my tank but know it grows like mad for me.

Tank looks good i Like it!

EDIT: their is a plant i have seen a couple of times that is called under the common name of cut leaf water sprite, it looks very similar to cabomba but didnt have as needle like leaves growing on it they were thicker and flat.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I know it isn't cabomba, I had some before and didn't like it, I was wondering about the water sprite because it didn't look like what other people said sprite was :)
the fact that it is growing new buds quickly suggests that it is an easier plant than originally thought :)

well now that I look at this stuff, it very well could be cabomba and it is a very different color than what my other stuff was... we shall see :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
okay, quick question for anyone who would like to answer, I already have 3 zebra danios in my tank, but they seem to be a little aggressive as of late, I was wondering, should I move them into my other tank with my barbs or buy 3 more to get more of a school going rather than separate little fishies?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
okay, quick question for anyone who would like to answer, I already have 3 zebra danios in my tank, but they seem to be a little aggressive as of late, I was wondering, should I move them into my other tank with my barbs or buy 3 more to get more of a school going rather than separate little fishies?
Buy 3 more to get a school going. Even though they might not school (I'm not very familiar with their behavior), higher numbers would take the focus off of the individuals.

-Dave

·
Registered
481 Posts
I can't imagine danios being aggressive, or if they are, not doing any harm. They're basically tetra/minnows... but I agree on the school thing... some of the coolest tanks I've seen have almost all the same fish, lots and lots of cardinals or something. I have a school of Espei Rasboras in my 240g tank that are cool.

Michael

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just starting out so I want to try cheap plants that I can careless if they kick the bucket so to speak.
Then get Anacharis densa or Hornwort or Java fern. Anacharis densa and Hornwort only need a little light to grow and grow. They are floaters but can be planted. I prefer the Anacharis densa, for it is easier to plant and blends in with the Bacopa carolina. Java fern comes in several variations. They are very hardy plants and slow growers. They are rhizome plants, thus they just sit on top of the substrate or are attached to rocks etc.. I have seen all of these plants a Petsmart. I have only seem 1 variation of Java there.

BTW your plants look like they need some potassium nitrate and potassium sulfate. They can be bought quite cheaply at Rex Grigs web site.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts