Aquatic Plant Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
there is another one that I am no wary of, it's called "Kyoto grass" anyone know of it?
I googled it and found that it is not a true aquatic plant. I would try the onion plant instead. I haven't tried it yet. Will if vals die.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Dawntiwster, I already changed out plants, and the kyoto grass is on longer on my list, my new posts show the updates :)
most plants sold in petsmart (where I got my first plants) aren't true aquatics, they are juvenile forms of houseplants essentially :-/ there is one petsmart by my house that sells the basic true aquatics.
take a look at my most recent posts to see themuch needed changes :)

What shows the potassium deficiency? (I'm still new at spotting issues) I am currently fertilizing using a PMDD mix, which should have it in there as potassium nitrate as well potassium sulfate if I am not mistaken. :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Where is the new post? Link please. I enjoy seeing what other are doing. Such a nice distraction from etc. etc.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I know it isn't cabomba, I had some before and didn't like it. stuff was... we shall see :)
I am pretty certain it is Myriophyllum mattogrossense. I had some for a while. I needs stronger light or Flourish or CSM + B.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have two 13 watt output Daylight (6500K) CFL's
I want to do a DIY lighting hood eventually, but I have no money, and no electrical experience :-D
Your tank looks like it has 2wpg. A quick and cheap way to increase it is to buy clip on lights rated for 65watts and use the daylight CFL's. I was told the lights are in the back of Lowe's and are $5.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Ferris, your tank has undergone quite the transformation from its inception! Nice progression!

I cast my vote for the 'unknown' as a Myriophyllum as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi, Ben. I've had a 10 gallon tank going since last January. I'm also using 2x13w screw-in CFs in the old incandescent hood. My bulbs are 6500k. I'm doing DIY CO2 for the first time, and using Seachem fertilizers N, P, K, Micros, and "Equilibrium", a hardness balancer, pretty much according to label, along with a 5 gallon water change, using RO/DI water, once a week.

I concur with the posters so far that what you had called Water Sprite is neither that nor Cabomba, but, rather, is Myriophyllum mattogrossense. I got mine from a club member here in Atlanta, and it's been growing like mad, along with Valisneria, Hygro. difformis, H. corymbosa, H. polysperma, Echinodorus tenellus, Java Fern, Java Moss, and Amazon Frogbit.

All the best!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Well, school is out, and I am trying to get my room cleaned so I can get some decent pictures of my tank! some of it has grown quite a bit and other plants weren't as lucky.
I have also had a few deaths in the tank so there is a significant decrease in fish....
will get new pictures up in a couple of days!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Hey ferris89! I look forward to new pics. :D

-Dave

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
AHA!!! finally after months of teasing you all with pictures!!!

I did a rescape today, (I have been battling a hair algae that was absolutely ridiculous, so this was almost necessary) and I think this is my favorite one that I have done, it makes my tank feel so wide open.

let me know what you all think!

the entire tank

the left side

the right side

I now have a light hood as well!!

two 15 watt bulbs and at night a black light

cheers! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Nice pics ferris. It needs some growing in, but looks fine. What's the big white thing in the middle?

-Dave

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
yeah, lol, it used to be all grown in, but with a rescape I pulled a lot of the "weaker" plants out, and a lot of the riccia had been overgrown with the hair algae, so I pulled a lot of it out :-/

the white thing in the middle is a chunk of quartz that I've had
does it look out of place?

61 - 80 of 91 Posts