Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you! I've taken pictures from other tanks before. It takes patience and a lot of light. These pictures are all with normal light and only for forum purpose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking good. A school of Altums would look super cool in there, but it would ruin the scale you have created. Fantastic scape! Keep working!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looking good. A school of Altums would look super cool in there, but it would ruin the scale you have created. Fantastic scape! Keep working!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please don't say that! I would love to have a school of altums in there and we've some beautiful F1's in the lfs I work. But it would ruin the scale indeed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stunning tank. This is exactly like what I want to do some day.

Do you have more details of your filtration setup? I am curious how the overflow/sump works with the CO2 injection.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Stunning tank. This is exactly like what I want to do some day.

Do you have more details of your filtration setup? I am curious how the overflow/sump works with the CO2 injection.
Thank you very much!

I made some pictures for you. Overflof over the entire right side of the tank. Made of black glass. Bean Animal overflow to the room behind the aquarium where the sump is situated:

Water comes in on the left via 3x 50mm PVC, wet bean animal overflow minimizes CO2 loss, and it end below the surface of the water in the sump to minimize it even more. It gets heater in the first part, flows via 2 filter socks in the next where 100L biological filtration media and a few filter mats are placed. and the right end it gets pumped back up and CO2 is injected in the reactors. Nothing really special. Active carbon and purigen to clearify the water and home made ferts are dosed by the ARKA dosing pump.

Latest picture of the tank:

I entered a Dutch competition where they pay house visits, so the judge will come to my house next week to grade my tank. Looking forward!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Made an extreme HDR today, by making a picture during the day from the 'cabinet' and from the aquarium this night. A little photoshop (which I'm not good at) and this is the result:

#iIlikeit

·
Registered
195 Posts
Amazing filtration setup. Thanks for taking those pictures! Even with the design to minimize gas loss, do you find yourself having to inject more CO2 compared to other filtration methods?

Also I notice you have some Aponogeton. I'm guessing you hope they don't go dormant until after the contest pictures have been taking?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You've solved one of the persistent problems of aquarium photography. And the ensemble looks wonderful!
It looks a little too fake in my opinion, but all in all it gives a nice idea about how it looks in my living room.

Amazing filtration setup. Thanks for taking those pictures! Even with the design to minimize gas loss, do you find yourself having to inject more CO2 compared to other filtration methods?

Also I notice you have some Aponogeton. I'm guessing you hope they don't go dormant until after the contest pictures have been taking?
You're welcome! I still think I loose more compared to an external filter. But having a sump with a reactor to dissolve CO2, or an open tank with an external filter and a diffusor, I don't know. I think the loss from a diffusor is larger than the loss from a sump.

About the Aponogeton, these are in my tank for over 1,5 year. I got three species, and I've had Ceratopteris and other plants that should go dormant in my tanks for years as well. I don't see how a plant could now it should go dormant in our tanks as long as you keep all water parameters the same all year round. I feel the trigger is missing although I don't even know what the trigger is. Perhaps temperature or the amount of light in nature. But does anybody ever experienced this is an aquarium? And even if it does one day, that's ok, as long as it isn't the day before a contest or something:p

·
Registered
195 Posts
About the Aponogeton, these are in my tank for over 1,5 year. I got three species, and I've had Ceratopteris and other plants that should go dormant in my tanks for years as well. I don't see how a plant could now it should go dormant in our tanks as long as you keep all water parameters the same all year round. I feel the trigger is missing although I don't even know what the trigger is. Perhaps temperature or the amount of light in nature. But does anybody ever experienced this is an aquarium? And even if it does one day, that's ok, as long as it isn't the day before a contest or something:p
Interesting that yours have been so stable. It's not an uncommon thing to see people experience. However I think temperature is the primary factor, though if you can maintain that steady of a temp that is impressive. I don't know how the climate is in the Netherlands but in most of the US it can be a challenge to keep temps down in the 70s during the hot summer months. After some further research it appears that hybrids tend not to have the dormant period.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Interesting that yours have been so stable. It's not an uncommon thing to see people experience. However I think temperature is the primary factor, though if you can maintain that steady of a temp that is impressive. I don't know how the climate is in the Netherlands but in most of the US it can be a challenge to keep temps down in the 70s during the hot summer months. After some further research it appears that hybrids tend not to have the dormant period.
It doesn't get that hot in the Netherlands. I don't even own a chiller, only a dozen heaters, haha! So my tank fluctuates max 4 degrees between winter and a hot Dutch summer (which lasts a week or two). Apparently not enough to go dormant.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Beyond amazing aquascape. I just love in wall builds as well. The scape you created is really well thoughout and placed to, the driftwood overhanging and such, its common but unique at the same time!
Very lovely and I cant stop looking at it lol
Nate

Reactions: Yo-han

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you for the kind words. It's been a long time since I logged in here (need to ask for a new password every time since the long password change). But I didn't enter the IAPLC with this tank because it wasn't mature enough to my liking at the time the entry closed. So I participated with an ADA 90P iwagumi I made at my work.
I did enter the Dutch NBAT contest where they pay multiple housevisit to judge your tank (not only the scape, also the health of the fish, the filtration system, the placement in your livingroom etc.) I did make it to the national finals so am at least in the top 12, but need to wait till the end of november for the results. Either way, here is a photo how the tank looked at the time the judges came. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

·
Super Moderator
5,859 Posts
Congratulations on making it to the finals! I really admire the Dutch judging system. It much more meaningful than the internet-based contests that are based on a few glamor photos of each tank.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Congratulations on making it to the finals! I really admire the Dutch judging system. It much more meaningful than the internet-based contests that are based on a few glamor photos of each tank.
True, but image the judges visiting all the tanks around the world. This is only possible in small countries like the Netherlands. Although I enterred just for fun, I'm now very curious how I did against all those Dutch Style tanks. Next year I will present them an iwagumi to make judging even harder

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Great work Johan. I met Bart Laurens this year. The Dutch AGA category is starting to have a real following.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Changed the background plants. Trimming a bucket full of Pogostemon every week was no longer my thing. I was looking for a bright green plant but all of them seemed to grow quite fast. Till I stumbled upon Cyperus helferi, so I bought a few dozen of those to swap the Pogostemon out. Still a little small but it looks more tranquil already. What do you think?

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Yohan your aquascapes just make me feel like I'm a horrible scaper LOL
love your journals man!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts