Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discus along with some nice dwarf cichlids and large schools of tetras would be perfect for a tank that size. Although you will need very low PH.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Definitely no discus. That will make the tank look small again. Biggest fish that will be in there will be a small L-number and my Apistogramma papegai/ortegai. The rest will be mainly pencilfish (N. eques or espei if I can efford them and marginatus), P. simulans, T. espei and H. rodwayi. About 50 each.

Maybe one day when I've little time for the tank I convert it to a Geophagus tank, with some nice angelfish or so. Lots of wood and little plants. But for now, lots of plants and small fish!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The frame is being build. I already started to make some layouts with the stones I bought:

Front and left side will be sand, the rest will be aquasoil. Some large pièces of wood with ferns in the middle and various stems in the back. #gettingreallyexcited

I love the big stone, who sees the same as I do?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nice rocks.
I like this island idea of Michaels. Making larger rock islands toward the back and smaller rock islands in the front would give you a bit of depth.

(Vicarious is always easy!}

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Very cool! Try a few stone "islands" in the sand area.
Yes, I think I will. Got some small stones left but think I'll see how it goes when scaping the tank. I also have some mixed size gravel which I'll use around the stones to give it a softer, more natural, feeling.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Wait no longer! I finally found some nice pieces of spiderwood. Was a 500km drive to Germany, but worth it! (and a nice opportunity to test whether my old car is still able to drive fast (no speeding limit in Germany:p )).

I also got my sump finished and filled with water. It's now pumping water from the end to the beginning, just to cycle it a little and test whether everything works the way I planned (it does!!:D)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I finally put all the pipework together but I made some serious design flaws and had some leak problems.
For one, I couldn't stop 1 bulkhead from dripping, so I used silicon in between the glass and rubber. Fortunately, this worked! Next was the main drain pipe. It leaked on two points. It was the last pipe I glued and I was running out of glue so I hoped it was enough, turned out: NO! Bought some new glue, some new piping and corners, sawed away the old piping, glued in new and it was waterproof! So now only one problem I need to fix; I build a purigen reactor. Works great except for when the pump stops, then water flows in reverse, and all the purigen is sucked into the sump. Putting the pump back on blows all the stuff into the display tank (not hypothetically, it happened:( ). So I need to install an one way valve, I ordered it already but I need to fix this later on. Not a big deal because I got two pumps and the CO2 is on the other line.

When everything ran the way I wanted, it was time to empty the tank and start scaping! So here are the pictures (sorry for the reflection, it was a very bright day):

The tank with the 400L as a comparison:

With the frame above:

Lights are hanging:

Dropped in some stones:

Some wood:

Some sand and 100L soil:

Started preparing plants:

And planting:

5 minutes later:

And another 5 minutes later:

A little cloudy right after filling, but not bad:

The day after (almost clear water):

10 days later:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
That's absolutely amazing Johan! I thought I found some nice wood but yours take the cake! How's the reactor working for you? Did you get it fixed?

Would you please get some pictures of your filter system all running now that it's fully plumbed?

+100 for the idea of using only small fish. I'm thinking of doing the same in my smaller tank for the same reason as you. I wonder what a school of 1000 microrasboras would look like in there. HAHAHAHA

Cheers,
Phil

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
That's absolutely amazing Johan! I thought I found some nice wood but yours take the cake! How's the reactor working for you? Did you get it fixed?

Would you please get some pictures of your filter system all running now that it's fully plumbed?

+100 for the idea of using only small fish. I'm thinking of doing the same in my smaller tank for the same reason as you. I wonder what a school of 1000 microrasboras would look like in there. HAHAHAHA

Cheers,
Phil
It took me many months to collect every nice piece that entered the LFS, but still I didn't had enough after a year. So I arranged a visit to the warehouse (which is all the way in Germany, but in hindsight, well worth the drive!). Needless to say that I felt like a kid in the candy store!

I tried to take pictures of the filter but is in the storage room behind the tank, which isn't very large and a refrigerator is blocking half the filter. I made a short video, I'll try to upload that later.

About the fish, I was thinking 75 P. simulans, 75 T. espei 75 M. kubotai and 50-75 N. marginatus. No idea how many fish this size a tank this size can handle...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Came home after my holiday and my tank looked quite good. I reduced the amount of light and some plants suffered from too little light it seems. Algaewise the stones got covered in a short form of BBA but the wood and plants look quite good so here is the latest picture:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Great video, thank you. How's the CO2 system working for you? Which directional (in or out) is the water entering the chamber?
CO2 didn't work all too well. It just couldn't dissolve the CO2 fast enough. The purigen reactor wasn't working to my liking neither so I used that reactor to make a second CO2 reactor and now everything is working fine!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
And an update:

With 20 borelli:

And I took my A. ortegai out and gave them their own tank to breed:

Not the sharpest picture, but look at those colors when he is happy:

41 - 60 of 101 Posts