Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
They sure are! What I also like is the fact that you can clearly see that the espei occupy the higher regions of the tank and the simulans swim a little lower. Something which wasn't even visible in my 100G (20 inch of water). The pencils are also always fun, they swim in all layers in small groups 10-15 and always close to plants (protection). They do feel a little shy because of that... until feeding time! Nothing shy about these fish!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Small update:

Algae on the stones start to dissappear, plants grow perfect and I feel like the tank is under control now. Now it's time to move some plants around to make some focus point...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Small update from the tank while I'm finally finishing the cabinet.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
What an ugly messy tank! It doesn't look anything like an ADA aquascape!

Why can't you just copy one of the few ADA aquascapes like most normal people do? They always turn out amazing.

:D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
What an ugly messy tank! It doesn't look anything like an ADA aquascape!

Why can't you just copy one of the few ADA aquascapes like most normal people do? They always turn out amazing.

:D
Haha, thanks Niko! I try to do that for my contest tanks, but this is my private tank in the living room. This needs to be low maintenance and a pleasure to watch for me, and for me only (perhaps my fiance).

This tank just gets better and better.
Thanks, that is the goal!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Algae on the stones is dying off more and more each week. I must say, I'm very pleased. Did a big trim and cleaned the sand for the photo. I changed some plants, but the biggest improvement visually is that it looks like two islands again. Both forms of Bolbitis are growing like mad, and I'm trimming it weekly now to keep it from overgrowing my other plants.

Fish have been ill. Didn't saw anything externally on them, but I kept finding 1-2 dead fish every day. I treated them with anti bacterial meds, no results... anti worms, no results... Suddenly some looked like they had a grey layer on them (velvet disease?) so I tried anti parasites and this worked. Didn't find a single dead fish since. Turned the tank green for a good two weeks and all transparant kit in the sump changed color. Luckily the kit in my tank is black so no biggy!

Changed the lights to 100% LEDs, so let's see how that turns out! Color is perfect (custom made so must be
) and I don't need 100%. So with half the power I get the same PAR. Let's see how the background plants grow back!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Not much response here, perhaps some close-ups of plants and fish do better...

In one of my first aquaria I used to own an Aponogeton madagascariensis. Which was the best algae magnet I've ever had! Now a little more experienced I think I can keep it alive. So I bought 3 different Aponogetons:

A. boivinianus:

A. crispus? (bought longiplumilosus, any thoughts?):

A. madagascariensis var. henkelianus:

And for those of you who are more into fish than plants. My school of Alestopetersius caudalis is showing off every morning and evening when the lights dim. It's almost impossible to get a sharp picture of these fast fellows and they always look more grey than they look in real life (where they have a beautiful blue shine), but the colors are still awesome IMO!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,891 Posts
Beautiful, as always!

I hear you about the bolbitis, when that stuff gets going it grows much faster than any other epiphyte I've have. Do you have both the small and large forms? I am surprised that it is not more popular in the hobby.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,891 Posts
Interesting--I think I have the same two forms that you have, whatever they are. Mature leaves on the small form are only about half the size of leaves on the large form, but both plants get quite large as rhizomes grow outward.

I like them because the foliage looks like a stereotypical fern, and does not develop the black spots and messy plantlets common on Java fern.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Interesting--I think I have the same two forms that you have, whatever they are. Mature leaves on the small form are only about half the size of leaves on the large form, but both plants get quite large as rhizomes grow outward.

I like them because the foliage looks like a stereotypical fern, and does not develop the black spots and messy plantlets common on Java fern.
I totaal agree with you! About the two forms, the one with the more round pointed leaves did stad smaller for the first few years, now I can't see much difference in size.

·
Registered
657 Posts
yo- Han how is the sand holding up? Anything you would do different? Your lucky you did not get diatoms

61 - 80 of 101 Posts