Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried setting this tank up before, and didn't have much success getting stems and riccia to grow without a consistent CO2 supply :/ I decided I'd set it up again this spring, and got around to it this last weekend.

Info:
100mm x 100mm x 100mm cube ~.27gal
19w 10000k "daylight" spiral flourescent
Decorative Sand
Flame Moss

The sand is a mix of pure white decorative sand and a bit of bright sand, just to get a grittier look. I might try to find some more grit and small rocks to mix it up a bit more as I feel it looks a lot more flat than I envisioned it. I didn't use any aquasoil, as I thought that a nutrient-rich substrate would be a problem with only moss.

The rocks are some leftovers I picked up a bonsai shop one day and just smashed them to get smaller pieces. Maybe Seiryu? No idea, but they look ok considering I didn't have a lot to choose from (just used what I could find in my "aquarium goodies" storage box).

For the record, I'm not really going for an Iwagumi . . . I was just so impressed with some of the recent uses of flame moss to make "trees" like ever-green like things. My goal is to make something that looks like that, and I'm almost using the flame moss like a stem plant and hoping I can make a "hill" of flame moss that fills up the back-left corner. Like a mountain of evergreens. :D

Right now I'm doing a daily "water trade" with the 60cm tank to hopefully get some source of nutrients and CO2 as well as bacteria. I could use any advice I can get.

This is my first time using flame moss, and everyone probably knows the woes of trying to dose and keep a tiny tank.

Any tips about flame moss? Will it eventually grow to fill up the background as I envision it? Dosing?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been doing a lot of research myself to start a tiny "table top" aquarium. It is great to know that there is someone else interested in this!
There is a Japanese website that talks about "table top" aquarium (http://www.geocities.jp/goleshiiriin/Knack/knackindex). You seem to be able to read Japanese so check it out (I am Japanese if you were wondering).

As for flame moss, it should grow without CO2 and without much fert. From my experience, it will grow slower though. Sometime the leaves are thinner and lighter in color too. It should help that you are getting water from your main tank.

Let me know how this goes!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
konnichiwa. Rinku ha doumo. Omoshirosasou.
I'll have to take a close look at the info on that site, and thanks for your insights. :D I'm also Japanese (half if you were wondering). Amerika Nikkeijin. This is the first time I've found someone else who can read Japanese on this forum, though mine is far from perfect. I am 2kyu from the JLPT exam.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice meeting you Steven. I'm native Japanese, born in Tokyo. Came over to Souther California when I was 7. I've been able to keep up with my Japanese with help from my parents. I take it you are half Chinese, from your last name?
Korekara mo yoroshiku!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quetzalcoatl-- Kocchi koso, yoroshiku. Korede nihonjin to suikei no hanashi ga dekite ureshii. A, sou ore Chugokkei ha-fu. Shikashi, Sasugani Romanji de hanasu no ha kurushii ne. ^^; And I might get okorareru if I keep talking in a foreign language on an English board. xD

Foofooree-- I'm actually not using that mesh right now. xD Also, the aquarium is from a Japanese maker, don't know much about them. Says "Vivaria Cube2" on the label. Bought the tank in Tokyo.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Foofooree-- I'm actually not using that mesh right now. xD Also, the aquarium is from a Japanese maker, don't know much about them. Says "Vivaria Cube2" on the label. Bought the tank in Tokyo.
I meant the stainless steel mesh in the pic ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
haha, thats looks cool!!
Though i always find getting lights for these is the issue of it being bigger than tank, etc.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@foofoo-- oh sorry xD

@Pinto-- Desk lamp with a daylight spiral bulb (19w flourescent, 10,000k) problem solved

1 - 12 of 12 Posts