Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no plants, just hardscape

I've been working on this tank for a few weeks now, I've been inspired by mongabay.com as well as other setups I've seen around the net
Stats:

120 gal A.G.A. 2'x2'x4'
filtration: homemade sump 20L w/ bioballs magdrive 1200 HOB overflow
hardscape: driftwood, rounded stones, sticks, almond leaves
substrate: mix of multi purpose sand, playsand, and couple handfulls of mixed natural gravel

projected fish stock:

5 spotted silver dollars
4 severums
7 BN plecos
1 L075 pleco
1 adonis pleco ( juvenile 3")
1 rhino pleco ( 6")
1 striped rapheal
1 spotted rapheal
1 megalodoras irwini
1 pseudodoras niger
1 hoplosternum thoracatum
couple random others...

This my favorite tank by far to date - and there are NO plants whatsoever!!! You may probably see some minor changes to the hardscape on the right hand side in the future...

Full tank shot

Left hand side

Right hand side

·
Registered
154 Posts
VERY nice!! Looks like a good home for some apistos .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow, thats a great blackwater biotope! A big shoal of cardinals and Dicrossus filamentosus would look great and be 100% biotope correct, but I see that you have other plans...:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow... Veery nice!

I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time, to keep some plecos and other bottom fishes, sure i'll start thinking about it again!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Excellent tank. I would like to ask you a question regarding your almond leaves.

I am getting some myself, but I would like to know how often do you change the leaves?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've had mine in there for about 3 weeks now and they have deteriorated quite a bit. I'll be romoving them soon. In some setups they'll deteriorate faster than others. I think 3 weeks should be max unless they are still in good shape.... Best thing is to just try it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

it looks great. Do you want to add some floating plants? Like Lemna minor. It will not disturb your scape and it will help to reduce NO3.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts