Aquatic Plant Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
Gluconate is a type of sugar and could stimulate rampant bacterial growth. Sticking candy into the substrate? Unless you know someone who has experience with K gluconate, I would stick with KCl added to the water.

Iodine at the amount used for human consumption should be fine. (I don't know where people got the idea Iodine was a problem when added in small amounts.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Gluconate is a type of sugar and could stimulate rampant bacterial growth. Sticking candy into the substrate? Unless you know someone who has experience with K gluconate, I would stick with KCl added to the water.

Iodine at the amount used for human consumption should be fine. (I don't know where people got the idea Iodine was a problem when added in small amounts.)

My concern regarding iodine, is from reading about people treating fish diseases with salt, there's always a warning that it can't be table salt because of the iodine, so I wondered if it has to do with concentration amounts.

Would the gluconate exlain why johnwesley0 had an algae bloom after using it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I looked up the "recipe for hardness" and figured I should add potassium and magnesium to help the plants. Am I right to assume so?
If you have access to Wonder Shells, I've been using them for about a year now and haven't seen any signs of deficiencies in my plants (except iron, but that isn't added by Wonder Shells). I also only had to add a couple small ones to my 6.5g at the beginning and it's kept the hardness up since (it's gone slightly down with some water changes and plants using the nutrients, but still quite high). I'm coming from water with GH 0.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
If you have access to Wonder Shells, I've been using them for about a year now and haven't seen any signs of deficiencies in my plants (except iron, but that isn't added by Wonder Shells). I also only had to add a couple small ones to my 6.5g at the beginning and it's kept the hardness up since (it's gone slightly down with some water changes and plants using the nutrients, but still quite high). I'm coming from water with GH 0.
Unfortunately I didn't find anything like that here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
I just wanted to share how nice the cambomba is filling out! I took this picture after replanting the trimmings of the tallest stems just now.

Plant Water Plant community Green Rectangle

Edit-
So there's a funny thing that happens during the afternoon light-off siesta hours- the trumpet snails all decide to start climbing the glass! I have to admit it's a little unnerving, but I am glad I never have to worry about cleaning algae off the glass!

Here you can see the apple snail running over a couple of the trumpet snails, heh:

Plant Organism Grass Terrestrial plant Fawn

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Out of all the people to find an aquarium (roughly 12 gallons) on the sidewalk, it had to be me! This happened a couple months ago and it served as a much needed hospital tank for a while.

Anyways, my partner is extremely handy and took it apart and rebuilt it in different dimensions so it could serve as a "pond" aesthetic - an upgrade for our shrimps (in the 5 gallon). I won't clutter this thread with this aquarium, but considering it will be very much an El Natural tank (I honestly don't know how to have any other type at this point), I'll create a dedicated Journaling thread for it as soon as I start setting it up.

Exciting!

Azure Rectangle Wood Interior design Flooring

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Very nice looking tank. You can have lots of emergent plants.

I guess you can find a glass shop and order some 1/4" glass panels cut to your directions and then you can put it together yourself. It's tempting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Putting the silicon on was very tricky, so much that it started drying before taking the tape off around the edges, so it`s not the smoothest silicon finish, but we just tested it all with water and no leaks detected, what a relief!

The dimensions are roughly 50cm wide x 40cm deep x 25cm tall. The back glass is higher, creating a supporting wall for the emergent plants.:geek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
So my plants have been pretty happy! My Amazon swords have shot runners EVERYWHERE! I usually cut the runners off but recently I'm keeping it wild, I especially like the ones that end up escaping the tank and flowering (there's one behind the lights that doesn't show in the pictures).

Anyways, I think the jungle vals are due for a trim, for sure.

Plant Plant community Water Terrestrial plant Rectangle

EDIT-

I took a picture after trimming the vals and feeding the fish and decided this is a more interest shot, so people don't think I only have an aquarium with plants and nothing else!

Plant Plant community Vertebrate Green Light

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
So my 30g has new inhabitants - 4 black neon tetras that used to live in my 20g.

This is an interesting story on fish social dynamics I felt like sharing!

For months the neon tetra lived in my 20g, with my rummynoses and a blue dwarf gourami - this guy would bully the tetras, so naturally they stayed huddled in bottom of the tank. Eventually we realized he was specifically chasing after the black neons, the rummynose would just kind of follow them into hiding!

It was heartbreaking seeing them hide all the time, so I moved the black neon tetras into my 30 gallon. The Rosies didn't bat an eye and now not only are the black neons actually swimming around and exploring the tank - the rummynoses are doing the same!

The gourami must have taken issue with the neon's striking neon-ness because he doesn't pick on the rummynose at all - only every so often just kind of advancing into the group, dispersing them, but not going after any specific one. The rummynose are soooo much more relaxed now, actually going to the upper part of the water column.

I'm so relieved I managed to accommodate the fish into a better tank-mate situation!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Hi everyone, I have a very weird thing appear on one of my rosy barbs fins - yesterday was the first day I noticed, around 7pm, white stringlike things on the fins.

I freaked out, searched, learned about anchor worms, about half hour later I was about to go out to get meds but when I looked at the fish again....it was gone. All clear!

So I calmed down, until tonight again, the stringy things appeared, same fish I think (not positive), but they soon disappeared again.

From what I read about anchor worms, nowhere do they mention that it comes and goes, but quite the opposite, they stay and can damage the scales. Also, my water temp is 24c, and apparently anchor worms prefer 26-28c? For what it`s worth.

As for the fish's behaviour, nothing changed, they`re all active and eating like normal. Don`t seem to be itching themselves either.

Naturally, I wasn't able to get a good picture, because the barbs move around too fast.

Thanks in advance, i`m going to keep googling to see what if I find any answers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
If it is slime coat, I'm at a loss. Tonight the same thing happened, after all day in the clear (I made sure to examine them in the morning and early afternoon) suddenly around 8 pm when I go feed them, I saw one fish - Definitely a different one this time! - with little white stringy bits around the frontal fins only - thankfully, less strings than the first day I had seen it. After half an hour or so, it seemed to be gone. Yesterday my partner and I decided that it couldn't hurt to dose the tank with an anti-parasitic just in case. Granted, if it IS anchor worms, I realize this antiparasite medication wouldn't have an effect of it. It contains Green malachite and Sulfanilamide....

Azure Rectangle Water Font Aqua

As for any recent changes in the tank, I literally have only done water top-offs with a new water primer - I say new, but I've been using it for a few months now. The link above about slime coat, says it canbe cause by chlorine or chloramine, other links I read says just "stress"... There are no other symptoms of slime coat disease apparent.

The water temp has been stable for ages, because it's been cold here and I put a heater in the tank when it was getting close to 18c a couple months ago. I tested the water parameters, there's no ammonia or nitrites...

So I'm going to keep observing them....see what happens I guess.

I am considering getting StressGuard, if this keeps showing up after a few more days. Depending how things look after that I guess I do a couple 30% water changes, to rid the tank of the antiparasitic med, if anything.

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
I wish I could help you. Perhaps the fish generates a slime coat in response to irritation by the parasites?
My fish disease textbook (Fish Diseases by Edward Noga) recommends organophosphates (OPs) such as dichlorvos or trichlorfon for treating fish with ectoparasites. For anchor worms, treatment is "prolonged immersion" in an OP bath every 7 days for 28 days.
I have no experience with these worms, and it looks like no one else here on APC does either.
Good luck. Fish diseases are no fun....

81 - 100 of 106 Posts