Aquatic Plant Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
So today I managed to catch the moment it started showing up and it really does look like something is coming off the fins, not that something is attached to them. So slime coat makes sense now.

It`s way less than when I first saw it a few days ago. It`s so strange that it seems to happen on such a specific time of day, right around feeding time.

I`m going to do a small water change tomorrow, to start getting rid of the medication I have put in. I don`t know what the chances are that this will pass on it`s own, but considering the fact that it doesn't look so bad anymore, I`m going to continue to just keep an eye on it instead of trying to treat it quite yet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Yesterday I decided to do a salt dip to try to treat my fish. I saw a bunch of different recommendations for medications for slime coat disease but I don't have access to practically any without importing (importing to Brazil 1- takes a while and 2 - expensive taxes). Hopefully it works!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
The salt dip seems to have helped but it's still not 100% gone. The amount of stringy-bits have decreased a lot in the last couple days so I'm still just observing.

If it's still around by next week, I'm wondering if I should do a second salt-dip or not? I did notice exactly one day, one other fish also had stringy bits on the fins, but then never again. So yeah, I'm over my panicking phase, because seeing pictures of how bad slime disease can get before it's fatal, I can safely say things look under control.

Here's a picture of what my tank looks like tonight. I was hoping the moss on the trunk would bloom out into a beautiful mossy bush but I see my Rosy Barbs constantly nipping at the new growth. So....free food I guess. There's a very slow growing Java Fern attached to the trunk, which I recently tried removing because I thought it was going nowhere, but then found it very firmly attached, so the rhizome is very much still growing, the leaves are just now starting to have a presence, but they too have been victims of the Rosy Barb's appetite.

Speaking of plants, I find it amusing how the two amazon plants have an established height- the one of the right always growing thinner and taller while the left stays "in it's shadows", growing stouter. As for the dwarf sag, I started trimming just the ones in the front, to see how tall the others get, in the back and around the camboba.

Water Plant Plant community Vertebrate Green

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
The salt dip seems to have helped but it's still not 100% gone. The amount of stringy-bits have decreased a lot in the last couple days so I'm still just observing.
Thanks for the update on the slime disease. It could be these particular Barbs just have a low level of natural immunity. It seems like you are giving them the best of care.
Beautiful tank.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Hi everone, quick update on my fish. Shortly after I posted, I dosed the tank with the antiparasitic I mentioned before and after a week, it finally went away for good. I also rehomed 5 ottos from the Betta tank (10g), into this 120L (30g) tank. They are loving their vast new space!

I did this because, I'm about to move out of my house and am separating from my partner (bummer...) and made him keep two of our 4 tanks. He's keeping the Betta tank and the problematic "open soil tank" I wrote about in another thread. The good news is his father has a new giant aquarium, something like 500 liters, so he's going to transfer all the plants and fish from the problematic "open soil tank" into that one. Keeping it as a traditional planted but no soil tank.

So I think I officially reached the stocking limit of this tank, but the water parameters stayed stable and barely registered the fact that there are 5 new little ottos.

All together making it: 5 ottos, 5 rosy barbs, 5 black neons, 7 kanei corydoras, 1 bn pleco.

Hopefully the move won't be too stressful for them... the new house is only a couple km away so it should run smoothly, just a short car ride away!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Hi everyone, I'm just giving the sad update that I will be slowly dismantling my aquariums...Thankfully I have found someone who can adopt all my fish. I'll be moving from Brazil back to the US soon (for grad school, yay!) but it does break my heart a little to have to break down the tanks after so much effort.

When I'm all settled again, I definitely plan on setting up another tank for myself because I have absolutely fallen in love with this hobby!

101 - 108 of 108 Posts