Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i have almost everything i need to convert my 125 from EI to soil. so im starting a new journal for it. I'm keeping the co2, and the T5's. going to rearrange some of the plumbing when it empty.

I have 2 large bags of Miracle grow organic potting soil, 100lbs of pool filter sand, 50lbs of play sand for the soiless foreground, (I like the way it looks.... I need to find some sort of flexible plastic that i can silicone to the bottom glass to keep this seperated) & 100lbs of Charcoal Turface.... I would say i have alot more than i'll need, but its always nice to have extras laying around.... my wife would disagree.

Not sure if all the wood will stay, I guess i'll play around with it before any dirt goes in. I want to build some steep slopes or terraces but am not sure how to go about it. I'm open to suggestions.

I want to keep the play sand shallow against the front glass, even with the plastic trim, then slightly slope it back to the divider where the soil will start. beyond that point i want it to slope up fairly high towards the ends & back of the tank. but i dont want the substrate too deep. Ive thought about cutting up small, shallow storage containers, putting them upside down and bulding stairs or using rocks etc. but how do you keep it looking like a hill, rather than a set of stairs. especially when im not using heavy gravel. If i use large rocks, the mud/sand/turface will just fall between the crevices, if i use slate, or upside down plastic bins it'll end up looking like a stair cse with the plastic showing. HOW DO YOU KEEP THE SLOPE?!?!?!

This project will procede past the planning/daydreaming phase once i submit a vacation request and its approved.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Not sure about getting the slope versus stairs, but just make sure you have species with mega roots in the deeper areas. Humbletex has really deep substrate in an El Natural, about 3 inches or so deep on average, and he's avoided anaerobic problems by using the root-heavy plants. Though if you're keeping your CO2 and running T5's pretty much any of your plants will be growing well enough to develop great root systems.

I'm assuming you already know what you'll be using, but just in case, most Echinodorus and Cryptocoryne species fit the bill, as well as Nymphaea and Nymphoides lilies.

Major mistakes I've made in my 125 NPT all involve moving stuff around, so make sure you get it where you want it, and if you change your mind, just manage by selective trimming (just not all at once...lol).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about getting the slope versus stairs, but just make sure you have species with mega roots in the deeper areas. Humbletex has really deep substrate in an El Natural, about 3 inches or so deep on average, and he's avoided anaerobic problems by using the root-heavy plants. Though if you're keeping your CO2 and running T5's pretty much any of your plants will be growing well enough to develop great root systems.

I'm assuming you already know what you'll be using, but just in case, most Echinodorus and Cryptocoryne species fit the bill, as well as Nymphaea and Nymphoides lilies.

Major mistakes I've made in my 125 NPT all involve moving stuff around, so make sure you get it where you want it, and if you change your mind, just manage by selective trimming (just not all at once...lol).
I do have some Nymphaea and some swords that are over 2 ft tall & 2ft wide.. i was thinking of ditching the large swords because they are so huge. . i cant find anyone to take them. i almost feel bad, they were the first plants i ever bought and only a few inches big.

anyways my vacation was approved. the work starts Thursday night. can't wait.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
if you want to give them away i could give them a nice home. i have some tall tanks that i could use them in for my breeding tanks.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
On the large swords, you can always trim them down by removing the older leaves and just keeping a few of the newer ones. That way you'll be starting off with plants that are already ready to do the job.

...or send them to bratyboy;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tomorrow night im going to pull all of the wood out. debating if i want to use it all. it takes up so much space. i have some pieces in the garage yet. i have 80gallons of r/o water sitting in buckets and 5 gallon jugs. drives the wife mad to have them sitting in "her" kitchen. luckily for her im all out of buckets/jugs. i need to go to Lowes to buy a few more, and a drop cloth.

also decided im not going to use the turface most likely, its just so damn light weight.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
yah i have never liked the turface.

and to much driftwood is always a good thing. u always have options to use in the tank.

hey if u dont use them thats cool. i would def pay your for shipping. yah 2 ft tall isnt goiing to fit in a 5 buck box maybe a 15. just let me know i will keep checking in with yah

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yah i have never liked the turface.

and to much driftwood is always a good thing. u always have options to use in the tank.

hey if u dont use them thats cool. i would def pay your for shipping. yah 2 ft tall isnt goiing to fit in a 5 buck box maybe a 15. just let me know i will keep checking in with yah
too much drift wood = mulm traps & poop pits. when i lifted the stumps out, they stunk underneath.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not the best DIYer. oh well.

i think this is the wood ill use.

Sadly the fish in my avatar died today. i had all the discus in a holding tank and had the pump plugged into a timer by accident. the canister was making no surface agitation. when i checked on them today, they were all floating. he's the only one that didnt recover. had him the longest.:(
think i might try trading the rest in for store credit. i want some low maintainance fish for awhile.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fish; that's no fun.

On the driftwood, I agree with you on it being poop and mulm traps, though the pieces you've got in the tank look pretty cool. I had three peices in the 125 and 1 each in the other tanks when I first set them up. Now I have 1 in the 125, and that's it. I like to look at layouts that use driftwood, but I don't care for it to be in my personal tanks...takes up room where I could have plants, which is extremely important in an NPT set up the way mine are (nothing but plants doing all of the work).

Looking forward to seeing the scape once you get it all finished...I can imagine some really nice Anubias or Java and Bolbitis specimens on that driftwood.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to hear about the fish; that's no fun.

On the driftwood, I agree with you on it being poop and mulm traps, though the pieces you've got in the tank look pretty cool. I had three peices in the 125 and 1 each in the other tanks when I first set them up. Now I have 1 in the 125, and that's it. I like to look at layouts that use driftwood, but I don't care for it to be in my personal tanks...takes up room where I could have plants, which is extremely important in an NPT set up the way mine are (nothing but plants doing all of the work).

Looking forward to seeing the scape once you get it all finished...I can imagine some really nice Anubias or Java and Bolbitis specimens on that driftwood.
i took the 1 on the right out, because it took up too much planting room. if this aquarium was larger, say a 150 or 180 i would put all the stumps i have in it and only plant large swords, crypts & chain swords.

i would like to try some more narrow leaf java fern buy last time i had some, the leaves started looking like ass and bba grew all over it.
i can never get anything to root onto wood, i had some anubias tied to some wood for months, it grew lots of new leaves but never attached it self.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Very interesting about the fern and Anubias. I had some that did the same until I pretty much wrecked the layout. But since then things are better with the few ferns I have (needle leaf and regular) and the anubias is finally "sticking" the roots. I had thought it had something to do with my water being such a mess, maybe some hydrogen sulfide or something, though I never could smell any and I never could nail the problems down.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i have had my anubias and my ferns in my NPT for as long as its been setup and the ferns attached in about a week and a half and the anubias are good to go. maybe you tied them to loose?

1 - 20 of 238 Posts