Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hello!

As I mentioned in this post, my partner and I put together a pond-like aquarium from a tank I found on the sidewalk! This past weekend we spent setting it up finally. The plan was to upgrade the shrimps from their 5 gallon into this...but...more on that later...

So, there's inch or so of soil (this is an El Natural tank) capped with sand and small to medium river rocks. The very front of the tank has a strip with no soil, only sand.

I don't really know the full list of all the plants I put in here, but off the top of my head:
Val spiralis
Anubias nana
Duckweed
Java Moss
Cardamine Lyrata
Dwarf Sag

Then there is another moss variety and two plants I don't know the names of- a spiky grassy one and one that's quite big (it's in the center/back of the tank, in front of the val spiralis.) Almost all the plants came from my own tanks.

There's a piece of wood with two moss varieties that came from the old tank, I'm probably going to cut it into smaller pieces, it doesn't really fit anywhere in the tank the way it is now (not in a way that looks nice, aquascaping wise at least.)

As for the emergent plants, I put some bamboo in the back, a mini boston fern, and sort type of moss (labeled as cushion mos). There are pothos in there as well but they aren't staying, it's just to help out in this beginning phase until the rest of the plants take root. Not pictured here amazon sword plant and water sprite which I left floating in there (I'm growing them out for someone else), I took them out to take the pictures.

The light is temporary, waiting for the new one to arrive!

The nitrites went up to almost .50 on the second day, but after changing the water once, it went down to .25 and has stayed that way today (the third day). The only bioload are the shrimps and some snails.

Speaking of the shrimp, this is a sad story. I had 11 neocaridina shrimps from my old tank but of which only 3 survived because I didn't do the acclimation process long enough. I witnessed the horrorshow of osmotic shock... The water in their old tank was a bit harder than this water and well...40 minutes acclimation was not adequate. Man, do I feel bad...live and learn though. My partner didn't feel quite as traumatized as I did so he convinced me to go ahead and buy 11 more shrimps (4 red, 4 black, 1 yellow, 2 big amano-like shrimps sold as yellow, but they are clear/greyish). This time we took about 3 hours drip acclimating them and sure enough, they are all fine!

Now on to the pictures!

Plant Botany Wood Grass Twig

Without the wood, to see the plants better:

Plant Pet supply Organism Water Vegetation

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Aquatic plant Houseplant

Plant Leaf vegetable Houseplant Grass Terrestrial plant

So I have more bamboo that I might put in, but I'm seeing how things fill out first!

The shrimp love to hang out on the rock below the little waterfall! Here's a short video (sorry about the noise, it's coming from the HOB filter on the aquarium next to this one, I haven't figured out how to make it stop rattling so much yet.)

Despite the sad loss of shrimp life due to my inexperience, this has been such an exciting build! I can't wait to watch this tank mature.

I'm considering, in a few months, putting my oto's in here which are in Betta tank right now - they would looove all this floor space!

Any suggestion on aquascaping/emergent plants, are welcome! I really want something else to complement the bamboo, but haven't decided on what yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice setup. I would wait until the nitrite and ammonia are zero before adding animals. They can kill. The soil can be volatile in the beginning.

True, this morning the readings stayed stable but just in case I did put in a filter from another tank in there to help out.

Found a molt this morning, judging by the size it's definitely one of the bigger amano-like shrimp. Hopefully that's a good sign!

I managed to get a picture of the yellow and clear shrimp together last night!

Water Plant Leaf Botany Bedrock

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did a general water test, the nitrates and ammonia reading are pretty close to zero, the little sponge filter from my other tank might be doing a lot to help in this regard. Especially since the spiky plant I got from the store is showing signs of melting. Alghough this seems to be attracting the snails, unsurprisingly, but, surprisingly, even the shrimp- I saw four of them completely buried between the leaves yesterday - as if they nose dived in!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update. The bamboo I got did not adapt very well, I saw very few stems start to grow roots but it was mostly melting, so I gave up and put in palms instead, it`s been a week and they look firm!

I have also put 9 Rasbora Margaritatus (....I think that's how it's spelled- Rasbora Galaxies in other words!) They were SO pale at the store, I had no idea how dark they actually got, even after seeing pictures online. Gorgeous little things.

I did some moving around with the hardscape, still not sold on the branch which I took out of my other aquarium, and just left it in here for the time being. Maybe it`ll look better after the dwarf sag and the java fern grows around/on it.

Plant Organism Pet supply Terrestrial plant Grass

Plant Property Light Green Botany

1 - 5 of 5 Posts