Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really nice fixture, perfect fit! I don't like the bulb a terrible lot... it's a 6500k/03 actinic... so it has a strong neon green/blue cast. They make plant bulbs just not in the 24w. I have a 6400k daylight bulb on the way from aquariumplants.com. I also forgot to specify a splash guard since I have it on the legs and I have a glass top... so I'm going to have one sent next week. I want to try it just sitting on top of the tank.

Anyways, here are some pictures. I have the old strip light in the back because it's a very 'pink' bulb and it brings out the reds in the rotala and ludwigia :)

Here is the website.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jaime

so far it's not terribly hot. It's been running for 5 hours and not only can I touch the housing with my bare hands.. I can touch the reflector right next to the bulb.

The tank water isn't any warmer than normal either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wonder if this light fixture will be enough for high light plants? I'm still trying to figure out if 24W is considered as 'high' or 'mid' for a 5.5g ... Do you know? I'm thinking of getting this fixture as well and i'm just wondering if 24w will be adequate.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what it's considered.... high medium to high? They make a 2x24w too but that might be too much unless you just ran the 2nd bulb in a 2-3 hour mid-day burst. Just make sure to tell them you want two on/off switches.

They also custom make fixtures so maybe you could do the single 24w with a 9w tucked in there?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well... the force is strong with this one.. so I caved in and got one :D ... Where did you get your splashguards? I tried looking but they don't seem to have it anywhere in their website. I also requsted if they will replace the actinic bulb with the regular cf.. we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They make one for the fixture... I emailed them about it because I didn't get one with my light. They're 10 bucks.

The one I have is an All-glass aquarium versa top I bought when I first got the tank. I just have the middle plastic joint removed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get a confirmation email? I got that not a few seconds after I hit the submit button. If you didn't get one you might call or email them and verify the order went through.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I wonder if this light fixture will be enough for high light plants? I'm still trying to figure out if 24W is considered as 'high' or 'mid' for a 5.5g ... Do you know? I'm thinking of getting this fixture as well and i'm just wondering if 24w will be adequate.
It's considered "high light" as it's about 4.4 WPG. Generally "high light" is 4 WPG or greater.

You dosing Excel of DIY CO2 with that tank? I got one a little over a year ago and continually had green water problems until I started adding CO2. Then the plants really started taking off.

Nice scape.

Cheers.
Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I got my 16'' fixture today in record time. It was shipped via express ups. The fixture itself is probably a couple pounds or less, not heavy . Almost feels like plastic but not sure of the material used.

Good thing is I was able to have them replace the default actinic bulb with a regular full spectrum which is really cool. Saves me from ordering the bulb seperately. The only gripe that I have with this fixture is the fact that the bulb is 4-5 inch shorter than the fixture, which means a quarter of the tank (16" long) won't have the same intensity. Anyways, what I did is I use my 27w lamp to cover the back side and have it turn on for 7 hours, while the main fixture is on for 10 hrs. That should give it a boost especially on the back end and the 4 inch area that has less light.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Danielle. That fixture looks really sweet on top of your tank. I've had my eye on that fixture for the last month or two. Too bad there isn't a 9000k 24watt version. Still though, your aquarium looks quite slick with the 'floating' canopy look. Going to order mine next week. Nice work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Danielle. That fixture looks really sweet on top of your tank. I've had my eye on that fixture for the last month or two. Too bad there isn't a 9000k 24watt version. Still though, your aquarium looks quite slick with the 'floating' canopy look. Going to order mine next week. Nice work.
Thanks! I've found a few different bulbs to try over the 'stock' 6500k/actinic 03 bulb... a JBJ 6500k that will be here today... and a Helios 8000/7100k plant/daylight and straight 8000k plant 'pink' bulbs that will be here weds.

Will report back!

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's considered "high light" as it's about 4.4 WPG. Generally "high light" is 4 WPG or greater.

You dosing Excel of DIY CO2 with that tank? I got one a little over a year ago and continually had green water problems until I started adding CO2. Then the plants really started taking off.

Nice scape.

Cheers.
Jim
Actually smaller tanks need more light for the same category as higher ones (i.e. medium light, high light) so 4.4wpg would be around medium-high light. You should be able to grow just about anything with the addition of ferts and co2 though.

I'm not sure what the exact breakdown on the categories for small tanks is (or if there even is one), but the wpg rule doesn't apply to very large tanks and very small ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks! I've found a few different bulbs to try over the 'stock' 6500k/actinic 03 bulb... a JBJ 6500k that will be here today... and a Helios 8000/7100k plant/daylight and straight 8000k plant 'pink' bulbs that will be here weds.

Will report back!
Hi Danielle. Just wondering what your thoughts were on the JBJ bulb 6500k, the Helios 8000/7100k and the 8000k bulb that you ordered. If you have any pics with these bulbs that would be appreciated. Hope they're working out for you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello!

I completely forgot.

The JBJ bulb was still very yellowish green. I only used it until the Helios bulbs arrived. I haven't tried the full 8000k plant bulb yet but I do have the 8000/7100k in and love it. It must have a high CRI because the colors are all very vivid with no obvious tint. Greens are green, reds are red. Plant growth seems good. I've already had to do two trims. I do have a bit of algae.. but only on the right side of the tank where it seems it was getting a good bit of indirect sunlight (oops).

With the CA bulb and the JBJ the plants were growing towards the center of the tank. Now they grow straight... I think it's because the Helios is a few inches longer.

Here's pics

JBJ

Helios

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.