Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this was a 180 reef but I decided to switch to planted to keep it easier. This is my first planted so I may put foot in mouth but everyone here has been very helpful and all advice as been appreciated. It is an in-wall set-up that is see thru. We may change that depending.

The tank itself is a 180 gallon acrylic from Midwest Custom Aquariums and has 1 overflow against the outside wall. I have a 55 gallon sump with not much but heaters in there. I'm looking at adding some bio-balls and I have a phosban reactor that i filled with filter floss sandwhiching some carbon for machanical and chemical filtration. I have a pressurized CO2 system with a 20# tank. A Milwaukee PH controller set at 6.5 (which the tank seems to maintain by itself). Turning over about 900gph. I have about 18 gallons of aquariumplants substrate in the bottom of display.

I purchased 2 large pieces of driftwood and attached them to ceramic tiles to hold them down. We put a couple plants in and need some help idintifying them.

Lighting is 3x 250w DE HQI 10k bulbs with 384w actinics. I am dosing PPS pro. Added a few platty's and guppies to get things going a bit.

We need to add a bunch more plants. We have a few ppicked out that we like but would love to hear some ideas on what ya'll think would look good. There is a full tank shot below as well as some un-identified plants we bought on a whim. We order a custom aquascape from aquariumplants.com but haven't heard anything thus far. My wife and I are getting kind of anxious to get more plants in. Any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks for looking and any advice you all may have!!!!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Anacharis, Tiger Lotus, Hornwort, are your plants.

Is that a reflection or is this tank viewable from both sides? I've never done a see through tank, my 180g is built into the wall with only the front viewable.

For what its worth - What I've gotten as feedback from those who've kept both reef and high tech planted is planted tanks set up faster, but are far harder to actually maintain. Hope those lids open easily, as you are sure to have your arms in te tank a LOT more now than you did then! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See-thru. I'm hoping this won't be as much maintaince. I'm trying to have everything automated. The wife will take care of the pruning!!!! =)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Sorry to say it is a lot more. ;)

Pruning/trimming is an art unto itself. My club does seminars/meeting subjects on it.

Many of the other things can be automated, in terms of fertilization and such. Plants can need trimming weekly/biweekly though, as opposed to a very long growth period in corals.

Regardless - it is a ton of fun, I find working in my tanks somehow therapeutic.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I'd recommend planting each stem individually. When you plant them as a clump the stem bottoms on the inside of the clump don't get any light and will likely rot away.

What type of look are you going for in this tank? There are so many different options depending on what it is you like. Also check out the plantfinder at the left in the gold bar at the top of the page for plant ideas. With the light you have, ferts, and co2 you can grow anything you like. You might try looking in the FS/T forum for a package of fast growing plants. You need a lot more plant mass in there to keep algae at bay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd recommend planting each stem individually. When you plant them as a clump the stem bottoms on the inside of the clump don't get any light and will likely rot away.

What type of look are you going for in this tank? There are so many different options depending on what it is you like. Also check out the plantfinder at the left in the gold bar at the top of the page for plant ideas. With the light you have, ferts, and co2 you can grow anything you like. You might try looking in the FS/T forum for a package of fast growing plants. You need a lot more plant mass in there to keep algae at bay.
I'm finding this out today. I noticed alge, I am assuming hair alge is starting to grow. I cut back the Halides to 3 hours only each day. I did order some 50/50 PC so the 384w will be the main lights with a noon bust to avoid alge. I'll increase the time on the Halides as I can but I do not want to deal with alge.

I do need more plants, however I was waiting for my custom aquascape plans from aquarium plants.com I was hoping to have the plan done and plants ordered. I ordered the aquascape between the holidays. I'm sure their busy but dang....I'd like to fill the tank with some color!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts