Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im currently setting up a nano tank, 12*6*8.

substrate is black sand and some gravel.

planned plants are anubias nana, java moss, dwarf hairgrass, and wallichi.

planned lighting is a CFL 11w.

question is, is CO2 required at this load of lights and plants?

·
Registered
642 Posts
im currently setting up a nano tank, 12*6*8.

substrate is black sand and some gravel.

planned plants are anubias nana, java moss, dwarf hairgrass, and wallichi.

planned lighting is a CFL 11w.

question is, is CO2 required at this load of lights and plants?
Many people have successfully grown these plants in tanks with C02 and low light, so no. C02 injection is not necessary. If you plan to grow these in an inert substrate like gravel and black sand, I would still ensure that they get some minimal fertilization to ensure healthy growth over the long term. In a 2.5 gallon nano with inert gravel or sand, there is no conceivable way that the waste produced by the limited stock of fish or invertebrates that you can keep will ensure that all your plants nutrient requirements are met. Many of these plants are water column feeders so a good liquid fertilizer should do the trick. Just don't over-fertilize. With such low light, low maintenance plants less is probably better.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
That amount of light is almost nothing for the tank, the wallichi and possibly hairgrass will need a bit more light then that. Is this 11w bulb a spiral compact or screw in socket bulb? If so those lose 50% of it's efficiency off the bat since reflectors can't reflect the odd half into the tank.

Look for a higher wattage desklamp or go with the coralife 2x9w fixture(which IMO is still lacking but beter). I have the 2x9w over my 2.5g and it has a hard time keeping plants low to the ground and most everything is leggy. With the co2, if you ever run into a problem where you would need to add carbon you could do so using Seachem Excel which is a decent alternative and in a small tank it won't be too costly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts