Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Growth looks very nice... Your tank is so clean looking & the water so clear.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
The tank looks very very clear! Beautiful!

The glosso growth is not as dense as it could be - how much light do you have over that tank?

--Nikolay

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Greg,

I'm glad to see that your tank is finally not overrun with algae. The plants look very healthy, and I look forward to seeing how you aquascape your new aquarium.

Now, it is my turn as my 10g is getting smothered in a slimy, filamentous, semi-transparent, brown algae I've never seen before...but that's a topic for another discussion.

Carlos

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha Carlos,
From your posts I think we run into a lot of the same problems. I haven't got this tank figured out completely yet. Switching out the 70W helped with the algae I was getting on the edges of the tank. The tank seems to crash by Wednesday when doing a water change on Saturday. My tap water parameters have improved (I have been doing a mix of R/O and tap). I was going to try doing 100% tap to see if I have been deficient on something. Maybe I will have to do 2 water changes per week? Maybe the tank still needs to balance out, we'll see.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 weeks worth of growth. Now that the tank is balanced, I'm going to try to aquascape the tank this weekend.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Bravo. This is a learning experience for me as well. You're running this on CF now? I wonder if you are planning to add some rocks or wood?

Andrew Cribb

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Nice growth there :) I like your custom lilly pipes too. I'm wondering if your tank came like that or did you remove the top plastic brace to give it the 'ADA' look?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andrew,
Yeah, I should sketch something out and post what I am planning. I've got a driftwood piece that is sitting in a bucket of water. From the AGA photos that have been posted on Amanos work, I'm thinking of trying the Anubias/Java moss/rock combinations. I've switched over to 2 x 55 watt CF. Eventually I would like to try out 150W MH, but I don't want to spend the money yet.

grandmasterofpool,
The tank was done by aquariumobsessed.com. There are older post on the setup.
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It does look healthy. I like the presentation set up that Amano did (was not there sad to say). Anubias petite would look well in that space although it seems fairly expensive to obtain good amounts (in case anyone is reading I am interested in buying petite).

Grandmasterofpool - Greg's aquascaping journals (link at the end of iunknown's post) have all the details of this odyssey.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I was thinking Anubias just because the stem plant growth is out of control. They reach the top of the tank within two weeks. This is what I had planned in the beginning. I'm thinking of changing it up. I really have gotten used to Rotala sp. "Green" and love the look, so that is going to be the main plant on the upper right. I'm really in love with giant hairgrass, and might see how it looks as a background plant, in back of everything.

http://www.aquascapingjournals.com/images/20_gallon/20_gallon_layout.jpg

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Added some hard scape finally. Placed the driftwood using the golden ration. The plan is to get a big bush of Rotala "green" on the left. I want to have Gaint hair grass fill in the back on the right and then have a deep red highlight of Ludwiga acruata.

To find the focal point of your tank, measure the width and divide by 2.618

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great setup, IUnknown. Please keep us updated with its progress.

Does anyone else see a statue of a nude and possibly pregnant lady reaching for the sky? :( Finals must be getting to me...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts