Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*UPDATED*PICS! 2008 ADA Layout Contest top 27

Once again I do not understand the Grand Prize winner, but whatever. At least 2nd and 3rd are very strong and very creative and make some sense. 4th is pretty amazing too considering it's only a 90cm tank. Awesome depth.

Grand Prize:

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

10th

11th

12th

13th

·
Registered
926 Posts
While 3 is nice, it isn't as nice as Roy's (on which it appears to be based) from a year or three ago. I would have chosen 4 to be first or second along witht he grand prize winner.

I'm still trying to figure out how the GP winner managed to pretty much ignore the "rules" concerning the number of focal points, phi, etc. etc. and still look so nice.

2d place entry - I don't get it...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The 4th is my favorite. Very commanding use of hardscape and the limited number of plant species makes this standout and all the more natural, IMHO.

6 is another, love the use of the rockwork and the diagonal street of plants.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
The 4th is my favorite. Very commanding use of hardscape and the limited number of plant species makes this standout and all the more natural, IMHO.

6 is another, love the use of the rockwork and the diagonal street of plants.
Yes I agree the 4th is my favorite as well for pretty much the same reason. I also reallly like the effect of the hardscape on the 9th place tank. I think the Grand price winner probably scored some points since it breaks away from some of the more traditional type layouts.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I actually do not like the grand prize winner at all.

My favorite is #2 and #4. I really enjoy the very clean lines of the second tank. It is a perfect example of looking natural yet still having that carefully tended look.

Just first impressions,

Carlos

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
4 for me, too. It honestly blows most of the others away in my opinion. Also like 2.

There seems to be this unaltered trend of making a landscape out of an aquarium in the ADA scapes, and frankly, it just doesn't do it for me. I must just not get the "zen" of it all or something. Not that the skill to make them isn't impressive, because it is, but it just doesn't feel right to me somehow.

It is an aquascape, so in my little head it just plain oughta look like it is underwater instead of a submersed bonsai version of a scenic picture I guess. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
My favorites are 4, 9, and 2...in that order. They are the most relaxing to look at for me.

-Dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like the no. 6. I like de rocks display and mostly, the good use of leaf texture constast between plants. The winning tank give me mix emotions. I can appreciate the effort (surely need a lot...) but, this tank remind me too much those kind of chinese landscapes that you see on illustration.

François

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
The winning tank give me mix emotions. I can appreciate the effort (surely need a lot...) but, this tank remind me too much those kind of chinese landscapes that you see on illustration.
Exactly! Looks like a picture of a terrestrial scenic drop. Pretty, and surely great skill to make, but it just isn't an aquarium dangit!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Awesome

·
Registered
733 Posts
I like 4, the best. 8 is also good. The word that comes to my mind when I look at 8 is "Meadow". #9 reminds me of Shurik's tank.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts