Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I just re-setup my 20g high tank today. I haven't put in my substrate yet becuase I am still thinking about getting a bag of eco-complete. It's currently cycling will soon to be with 5 neon tetras, 1 oto, and 1 corydoras. So far I have java moss, and java fern plants in the tank attached to the wood. 1x 55 watt 6500K/day, DIY C02, Flourish Excel, Flourish.

Edit: Any tips on how to not let the equipment show?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Isn't setting a new tank back up fun?
If you plan to cycle with those particular fish, do you have any established tanks you can steal media from? All of the fish you have listed are fairly sensitive to the rigors of a new cycle, but some established media (especially from another filter), or something like Bio-Spira would greatly cut down on the cycling stresses. If you had more plants, that would also help in absorbing the excess ammonia.

I'd also get a few more Cory's and Oto's once all is said and done since they do best with company of their own.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a seasoned sponge filter that I could use, the neon tetras look like they are dying ...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright the tank has gotten a bit cloudy, I think its bacteria bloom although it should clear in a couple of days. So far 2 neons, 1 otocinclus had died becuase they were held in a water bucket becuase I had no other tanks running at the time. So 3 neon tetras, 1 otocinclus, and 1 corydoras is in the tank cycling atm. It should be ready in a few weeks after I go and check my water.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jdinh04 said:
Edit: Any tips on how to not let the equipment show?
You run a canister filter? If so, I recommend a Hydor ETH in-line to get that heater outa sight. They plumb into the return line from the canister, and are quite accurate. I got one about 3 weeks ago, and now would not consider anything else.

-joe

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any pictures of your cainster? No I am using a tetra whisper 60 at the moment, it's too big and stands out too much IMO.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use a Hagen/fluval 104, which is plenty large enough for my 30 gal tank. Right now I have floss, carbon, phos-x, and ceramic tubular media in it. Keeps a good flow rate. I have a graduated blue background on the back of my tank, which hides most of teh plumbing and cords, including the heater. There is a pic of the hydor in the reviews section here.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would get a canister filter, but they seem quite expensive. If I could, I would probably trade my tetra whisper 60 and see what I can get for it and use the money to buy a canister filter.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Wel, not to try and sell you on anything...but if you plan on keeping aquariums for a while, planted or not, the Eheaim is the way to go. Super quiet, efficient and reliable. I have heard countless stories of them running for 15 even 20 years. Your tank would need the Eheim Classic 2213. $75+shipping divided by 10+ years is pretty cheap in the end.....

Oh, and with lots of plants you don't have to worry about cycling your tank;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Try big als, last time i looked at the 2213 model it was pretty cheap.

And no actually that specific model runs on only when heated, so youll need to plan ahead and put in near a heating duct. :toimonst:

Andrew

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Jdinh04 said:
Where could I get a Ehiem 2213 for $75 + shipping? Do these run by power outlets or ?
Yup, www.bigalsonline.com has them for about that price. Other brands are a little cheaper but I believe the eheimis like the Cadillac of good filters (sure you can get a Porsche but after a certain point, one is as good as another) It runs of of regular old AC from your wall outlet, you don't need any extra water or air pumps or anything like that. Also, the eheims work really well for diffusing CO2 if you choose to inject it.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about could I attach my DIY C02 with a Ehiem 2213? The only fear that I have is not tightening the tubes together and having 20 gallons of water flood my basement.

Edit: Wow that's pretty cheap, $81.94 shipped for a Ehiem 2213, *mind* is still thinking.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updated Pictures

Well i've took some shots of the cycling fish in my tank and also left over blaah *hair algae*

Need to get siamensis right away!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Hey Jdinh, not to barge in on your Ehiem discussion but I have a few comments on your set up:

You should have used more plants in the beginning and planted everything with the substrate, that's if you had them, so you wouldn't need to go through that normal and long cycle.
The second option was do a fishless cycle so you would not harm any fish. You could have used old tank water too.
Bigalsonline.com has the EHEIM for aroun 90$ shipped. As for co2 cut a hole in the intake and plue the airtube of the DIY in it so it goes through the whole filter and out comes the bubble via spray bar, and if you don't like the green there is also the new dary gray parts. I think the green is better though.

Just my opinions.

John

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey no offense taken. It's better for me to know your opinions so I can learn and understand from them. Yes I should have placed in the substrate at the begining with plants although I don't have much at the time. The substrate is currently being cleaned, it is filled with algae living sediments that needs to be cleared.

I am thinking about getting a fluval 204 against ehiem 2213, what are your opinions?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The thing that I am concerned with is, is it true that it needs to be near a heating duct. for it to run?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Jdinh04 said:
The thing that I am concerned with is, is it true that it needs to be near a heating duct. for it to run?
That was someone's idea of a joke.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts