Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating switching to a sump type filtration for my new 220gallon planted discus. I currently have a 180gal planted and have 2 seperate cannister filters. I dont have any experience with sumps other than how they work. So i guess the question is: Would u use a canister or sump on a 220gal planted discus, and why?
thanx,
mark

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
You can't beat the simplicity of a canister filter, so if that is important to you, a canister filter is the best. But, people seem to like the advantages of a sump, where they do their dosing, heating, etc. outside of the main tank, so they like the sump. I like simple stuff myself.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hoppy's summed it up perfectly! As usual!

Personally if I'm every lucky enough to get a tank that large, or larger, I think I'd go with the sump for a large tank to hide all the equipment out of the tank and allow a huge amount of biological media.

Although there are some much larger canisters on the market now like the giant Fluval one and the larger Ehiem so they might chnage my mind....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I do like the simplicity of canisters so im going to stick with them. What do you think about running 2 eheim 2217's? Or what would you suggest for canisters?

thanx,
mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts