Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my first tank just a new tank, my first attempt scaping it. I'll be working with it here and there. A few of the plants I have in there are recovering from being chewed to the root by my BN plecos. Pics aren't the best, hope you can see whats going on. I'm not into copying people's scapes or certain styles, but I take what I can get and do with what I have, so love it or leave it. I enjoy it immensely and love seeing what you all do with your tanks. The Echinodorus are the ones that got chewed up. They will be in the back left corner, and the rosette's alon the front right. The Glosso I just planted. The Crypts started melting after I fertilized the tank. I may move them around. I'll have to work with the Hygro a little to get it to do what I want.

here goes; hack away :heh:

SPECS:

28 gal bowfront dimensions ? x ? x ?

Filtration; 2 hob powerfilters (top fin, penguin)
Lighting: Coralife T5
Susbstrate: Schultz aquatic soil/sand base
Plants:
CRYPT WENDTII
HYGROPHILA POLYSPERMA 'SUNSET'
ANUBIA BARTERI "COFFEFOLIA" x 3
ANUBIAS NANA x 3
JAVA FERN
JAVA MOSS
GLOSSOSTIGMA ELATINOIDES
ECHINODORUS BARTHII x 2
ECHINODORUS ??? ROSETTE SWORD? x 3

Fish:

Glowlight Tetras
Black mollies
striata loaches
otocinclus
banjo catfish

CO2 coming soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
i like it, its different from what i have been seeing around, good job chadly! i really love the driftwood on the right, esp the way u placed it in ur tank with all the plants coming out from it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, your comments are appreciated.

I did a little work the past couple days. First I added more gravel to the background that adds a lot more to the tank. Then moved the hygro and crypts around. I also bought some australian vals and put them in the back left corner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you use air stone in your tank? It's really bad for plants because the air bubbles get the co2 out of water.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Looking For Comments

Looking for comments!

I've trimmed up the glosso, and had to replant some that were loose. It is starting to grow horizontal and is getting sprouts. The Anubias are blowing up. The swords are making a strong recovery with the removal of my BN plecos. The hygro is lookin really good. I also added some more gravel and austrailian vals.

Orca, I moved the filter to the opposite side of the tank so the water wasn't disturbing my plants.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I like it. Think you need to cover that front piece of wood with Anubias nana 'Petite' to soften it up and balance the 'Coffefolia'. I'd put something in the back left corner too, but it looks good without it too. Can't wait to see it once it's grown in for a few weeks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
thanks,

In the back left corner I added more gravel and graded it back to front. I put the australian vals there and for now the rubin swords are just growing back in, when they do, Look out! they get pretty big and will fill in nicely. I do have a nana in front near the coffeefolia, and I do have more small nana I can add to the front of the wood. Good suggestion, I think that would look nice.

Something else I thought might look nice is covering the top of the large wood on the right with windelov fern. I have a nice bunch I could use.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Is there a full tank shot of the new arrangement?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The most current pics are up. I won't be taking any new pics until after next weekend. I'm taking pics every two weeks.

Most of what you'd notice from the old pics to the newest are the placement of the anubias and the new plants which haven't filled in thier areas.

Updates for this week: the aromatica it twice as tall. the Hygro sunset has been trimmed and is spreading out. The Glosso is spreading out along the bottom. The blyxa is rooting and filling in well. The anubias nana group is displaying a new leaf every day or every other day. The rest of the plants are doing well, filling in appropriately. I'm quite satisfied with the growth I'm seeing.

I understand that my aquascape might not be aesthetically appealing, a popular style or follow some standard set by "the Pros". I ask for comments because apparently most members here very knowledgable and give good advice. One thing I also notice is that some are very good at picking apart other's aquascapes. Actually getting very little comments kinda makes me wonder...

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
I really like this actually... The subtle contrast between the Anubias and H. polysperma really creates a stunning focal point, IMO.

Like Ed Seeley mentioned, I would consider adding some A. nana "petite" to the midground to create a smoother transition.

I think this will be a really fantastic layout once the foreground and crypts in the background grow in.

Nice work!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Jessie,

I do have some nana on the left and right of the drift wood in the front. I have a couple more pieces I could put in the middle that would definitely look nice. I'm sure the new pics will show more growth, less substrate and be much nicer to look at. I'm not too sure about the vals yet. We'll see when I hook up the CO2. I'm still waiting for a couple parts and a filling the tank!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts