Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I would like to share my progress with my 29 gallon tank with you. It's come a long way in a little over a year!

From humble beginnings:

To the discovery of DIY CO2:

Awkward teenage years:

Finally starting to take shape in a new direction:

And a couple pics of the inhabitants:

Under the hood:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Very nice indeed! I really like the wood and the moss. I also like the forground and the midground plant- what is that?

One recommendation is to clean up the back middle portion. There seems to be a lot of plants randomly placed. Plant just a few plants in a couple groupings. Try to work more with that red plant on the back left. Is that alternathera?

Just one more thing - the front right part of the driftwood (the shadow) seem to dark....Maybe place a brigher plant there. Perhaps the same plant you have in the midground would be good? Just ideas:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!

I'm in the process of cleaning up the central background plants now, I've gotten it down to two main species, Rotala Colorata and Mayaca Fluvitalis. The midground plant is Ludwigia Brevipes, and I might try it on the right side of the wood as well, it is dark there under the Limno. Aromatica. Once the hairgrass finishes filling in, things should pull together nicely. I'm toying with the idea of an all downoi foreground, I've seen some pictures of Oliver Knott's tanks done that way, and they looked amazing, but they were much larger tanks if I remember.

All comments welcomed!

·
Registered
251 Posts
NICE WORK! You did so much with that tank. Its incredible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
what kind of moss do you have in there? And I agree that adding some more downoi to the foreground (mainly on the right side of the wood would look great, as long as it was not the only plant in front. Great tank!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow!!! What a change. What lights do you have over your tank? Are using diy or pressurized co2?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The light is a 2 x 55 watt PC unit from Orbit. The bulbs are 8000K and 9325K, with an 8 hour photoperiod. CO2 is pressurized, and really needs to be with this much light. DIY was sufficient when I was only using one bulb. I use a 10 lb. tank, Cornelius regulator, Fabco NV-55 needle valve.Co2 is misted into the tank via the in-line Gen-X 1000 liter per hour needle wheel pump.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have a 29 gallon tank too and also am planning to do a right angle scape as you have. I have just 1 65 watt bulb and 1 17 watt bulb, thus from your info I gather a diy co2 will work fine for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It should yes, and adding Excel may help if you still face algae problems. I found two 2liter bottles sufficient to provide adequate Co2 levels.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I did an experiment with kitty litter and vege. ferts in the substrate (Walsted method). I believe it is leaching phosphates into the water, thus I am going to break down the tank and dip the plants in peroxide. Amazingly the biggest tuff of BBA is on top of the powerhead outlet. At present the BBA is just on the edges of the leaves of some of my plants. Before or after I will be setting up diy Co2. I have been debating for some time if it is wise to add diy Co2, for I have low Kh and concerned about what will happen if electricity goes off when I leave for a few weeks. Now I feel it is the best way to keep algae under control. If things don't get better I will have to order some excel. For I can't find it in stores within 20 miles so I have to order from EBay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would purchase Excel from drsfosterandsmith.com, buy a two liter bottle, it'll last you a good while.

Assuming you don't lose power on a weekly basis, I wouldn't be too concerned over the DIY CO2, you likely won't overdose the tank with just two bottles of solution in a 29 gallon tank. BBA does seem to like the higher flow areas of the tank, I usually keep some very small amounts on my spraybar holes, but it doesn't spread, so I leave it be.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks for the info. Occasionally the electricity goes out. If it goes out I am wonder if an imbalance will occur which will lead to BBA. It is a chronic problem I deal with. Most likely because of phosphate in the tap water. For this also occurred in 10 gallon tank that was set up exactly the el method way. Considering that I should probably dose with excel before I leave.

I don't buy from Dr. Foster because, even though the prices are low, the shipping rate ($10) is high for a few things. At EBay I get excel for $7, including shipping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you figure price per ml., buying in 2 liter quantities should save you money, especially if you're buying something else too, like Prime. I bought 2 liters of each at the same time, and got off cheap. Now I have enough for a couple years!

If the power goes out, you'll likely have problems with or without the Co2, depending on how long it's off. If you do get BBA, you can easily kill it with direct excel or H2O2 treatment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This month's update:

Plant list is finally dwindling, and has been whittled down to:

Foreground: Dwarf Hairgrass, Downoi
Midground: Blyxa Japonica, Ludwigia Brevipes
Background:Rotala Colorata, Mayaca Fluvitalis, Limnophila Aromatica
Random Accent plants I can't let go:Taiwan moss, Ludwigia Glandulosa, Narrow leaf java fern.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I increased the photoperiod the past few weeks.

The drawing is just a "negative" of the first picture, but I liked the way it looks :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts