Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been in the process of tweaking this 29 gallon tank. It has been set-up for about 2 or 3 months. I have just added some driftwood, moved around some plants, and am seeing "what works" for me. Most of the plants have not reached maturity. Let me know what everyone thinks...

I plan to change a few more things around next week. Ideas I have...
Remove the Rotala indica in the far back right corner and replace it with Rotala wallichii. I also thought about taking out the hairgrass and filling that front right corner in with more of the lobelia. I also might place an aquarium lily somewhere in the midground off to the right for a focal point. Any comments about these ideas?

Tank Specs

Light - Two 65w compact fluorecents (6700K)
Substrate - Eco Complete
Ferts - EI dosing and excel
Presurized CO2 injection
XP2 Filter with inline CO2 reactor.

Fauna: Three swordtails, two black mollies, 5 SAE, 5 oto cats, 2 amano shrimp, yoyo loach, and about 30 nerite snails.

Matt

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your scape is really nice! I love the layout of the plants and the different textures.

I would suggest atleast trimming the Rotala in the corner, if you choose to keep it. It just sticks out to me when I first glance at the picture. Rotala wallichi would be a good choice there and I think it would look better than R. rotundifolia.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with JustOneMore. Trim the Rotala to get a more bushy growth or swap it out for something else. Otherwise great scape and depth.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Very nice tank. I agree with the 2 above that the Rotala should be switched out. I like your idea of removing the hairgrass and adding more Lobelia. Right now you have a lot of different things in front and it's a little distracting. Or move the hairgrass slightly behind the Lobelia and have the Lobelia go a bit further toward the corner so they overlap.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Do you think the Lobelia and Anubias are too much alike in size and texture?
No, I like that they are similar (helps with continuity in the tank) but slightly different to create interest. I have the same combo in one of my tanks and I know that the Lobelia is a distinctly brighter green than the deeper Anubias green.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I like your tank a lot. I think the rotala in the right corner will look fine once your stargrass grows up. I do think trimming it to make it bush is a good idea, so it won't look leggy. I also agree with cs_gardner that the lobelia and anubias compliment one another and are different enough to be interesting. The hair grass does seem a little too fine for the layout. Maybe the plant to the right of the anubias could go over there too.

Even if you didn't do a thing it really is a pretty tank. Reminds me of my 10g shrimp tank! :p

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The plant to the right of the anubias is a split leaf java fern (I know, this isn't the right name) Anybody interested in this plant??? I may sell it as this is the area where I am considering putting a dwarf aquarium lily as a focal point (or you can provide a suggestion as to what I can do with it). Also, the hairgrass is already gone! Although I like this plant a lot, I find it hard to fit it into any of my aquariums. Once I make some more changes and things grow up a little more I'll post some new pics:)

Hmm...and maybe someone can link me to a good page that has suggestions on how to take good pics. I have a nikon D40, but I can't seem to get the pics to turn out clear and with good color. I turn the flash off, jack up the ISO, and set the white contrast to sunlight. The bright green plants always seem to be overexposed even when I turn the exposure compensation way down. Also, I've been using a tripod, but don't have a macro lens. Someone told me that I need to get an external flash, but that is WAY out of my budget! People must be getting better pics than I am, without an external flash???
Matt

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Hmm...and maybe someone can link me to a good page that has suggestions on how to take good pics. I have a nikon D40, but I can't seem to get the pics to turn out clear and with good color. I turn the flash off, jack up the ISO, and set the white contrast to sunlight. The bright green plants always seem to be overexposed even when I turn the exposure compensation way down. Also, I've been using a tripod, but don't have a macro lens. Someone told me that I need to get an external flash, but that is WAY out of my budget! People must be getting better pics than I am, without an external flash???
Matt
I feel your pain!!! :(

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
It's looking really beautiful Matt! It almost has a dutch feel with all the complimenting textures.

Nice work :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update....
Things have filled in a little so I thought I would post some new pics. I have got some new plants since my last pics. I pulled out the rotala indica and put in some rotalla wallichii. I also put in a dwarf aquarium lily...which has just started to put up two new leaves and I put some moss on the piece of driftwood.

This still has a ways to go before it all fills in but the right side is already looking good. I think I need some driftwood on the right somewhere but havn't decided where to work it in yet. I may just wait till the new plants fill in and then decide.

Sorry for the poor photography. I havn't figured out how to keep the bright green plants from washing out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Tank is coming along nice. Looking good keep it up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The tank is filling in nicely. :) I like the Rotala wallichi alot better for that corner.

I also like the left corner being a big higher looking (taller plants) than the right.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some new tank shots. My new plants are filling in and I got some manzanita driftwood. Things are starting to fill in more and more all the time. If I hadn't just trimmed my ludwigia arcuata the other day these shots would be A+:) I'll have to get the cam out again in a week or two. I had a present surprise in this tank this morning....dozens of baby mollies. That always makes me smile. And holy crap...aquarium lily grows like mad and took over my tank in a weeks time! Very soon I'm going to add some more moss to those new pieces of driftwood. Just haven't got around to it yet.

and a few shots for you mbuna lovers out there....

I really like this one!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts