Aquatic Plant Forum banner

29g Bowfront, Lightly Planted.

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  davemonkey 
Ditto on the great growth. Your plants look VERY healthy! (and so does th egreen water...). :rolleyes:

I used the blackout method with good results, BUT, I only had low-light plants, so they didn't die. I don't think it's worth the risk for you at this point, like Logan's Daddy said.

Instead, make sure your amounts for dry ferts are right (I wouldn't know...I use liquid), if your lights are on more than 9 hours, cut them down to only 9 hours, and turn the CO2 up a bit if it's less than 30ppm (if you have a drop checker...if not, then be careful with this).

Another thing you could try is the split photoperiod that Dianne Walstad uses. 5 hours of light, 4 hour "siesta", 5 hours of light. That gives a 14 hr photoperiod with only 10 hrs light. I didn't think it would have very good results when I read about it, but I tried it anyway just for grins, and have had wonderful results with it...I guess going on a month now. I don't plan on changing it.

Anyway, that broken photoperiod may help with the green water situation after a few days, and then you could go to a normal 9 hr photoperiod if that's what you'd prefer.

Keep up the good work with the plants!
-Dave

Plants are looking good and I see you have beaten the green water.

Can you tell me what a couple of the plants are. The first is in the back right corner growing very close to the Ludwigia. The second is your foreground plant in the front right (kinda grassy looking).

-Dave

You'd be surprised Dave, that stuff EXPLODED when it got in my shrimp tank, the stuff you see there is new growth from what i moved to this tank :p

But for osme reason, i cant get the flame moss to do the same. D:
Hmmm, I've noticed better growth in my Flame Moss now that I've increased ferts and removed a couple swords that were shading it out (even though it's supposed to grow well in shade). But I definitely notice that the Christmas Moss grows faster. Maybe the Flame is more picky about water conditions/temperature?

-Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.