Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up a 3 gallon Tetra aquarium kit, it comes with a 12 watt halogen bulb built in, but I doubt it is the right spectrum for growing plants, so I'll probably end up setting something up to hold an 18 watt Coralife mini aqualight...Or I'll end up trying to modify the existing light somehow, but what I'm posting here for is ideas on what to put in the tank, because since I work at a LFS I've started to overlook many fish when deciding on what to put into tanks as far as fish and plants go, I was thinking about possibly doing a single species tank. any ideas?

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
1 Betta, for temperamental fish.
A pair of Killifish, are jumpers but have beautiful colors.

From a long discussion on lights with Aaronnorth have found that the spectrum isn't important for all plants. The optima spectrum brings out beautiful red colors. Java fern and mosses would probably grow with little effort in your tank. Possible crypts.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Josh285, you can have some of my Endler's that I have been keeping in my Bowl at the Office (4 males only) and breeding in my 10 gallon tank at home. Poecillia Wingei (Endler's) are the perfect fish for a small tank. They are smaller than Bettas. (I like and keep some Bettas also in my house).

The males are about 3/4 inch and the females are about 1 inch.

The ones that you have at the store are a little different than the ones I have. In the store your breed are yellow and black. Mine are orange, black and hints of other colors. I got mine from John N. awhile back. There should be photos here on APC.

Send me a pm and I can give you directions to my house to pick some up.

It's good to see you here on APC buddy!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have you considered making a shrimp tank? Perhaps dwarf crays? Not sure what you think about inverts.

Endlers are generally tiny enough for a 3 gallon -- the males at least, and they don't seem to mind overcrowding (just watch water quality). You could try some micro rasboras. A dwarf puffer would be fun, as others have said.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One Betta does very well,I have two of the tanks and one betta in each.They love it.I was able to put a small heater in to keep the temp constant,and Java moss and ferns do very well,as does Amazon Sword apparenty.I had removed a small one inch sprout from a mother plant,not knowing i shouldnt have,and i placed it in one of the tanks,and after a month,it started to grow.Its now up to four and a half.I placed the little blue coer on the light nad it turned it more white,so maybe that helped.I just have to remove the sword soon lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Google "boraras". These are tiny micro rasboras with good color and a very small size for nano tanks....

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts