Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going for a very similar look to what this was when it got taken down prematurely. :Blah:

Here is the parting shot of when it was taken down in Phoenix, AZ in the beginning of June.

A few weeks (maybe a month) later, here is the new dry lay out. The two large rocks are not final placed and IDK if I will take the 2nd rock out completely, or smash it up and place some smaller rocks in there, I think the smaller rocks might be too much of an imbalance, so I might just go for more planting space.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then a few days later I updated DRY scape.

Eye level front view.

Top View

Side View
Though it is not really a viewing angle, it is more for depth reference.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Nice job, it looks very good! Nice hardscape and I like the use of different leaf textures. Are you thinking of another "red" plant or just the one in the back? I'm looking forward to later shots.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Seattle Aquarist!
That shot was the tank before I took it down and moved.

I found out about the move about 2 weeks after planting the tank.
So I never really finished it.

Now that was a learning experience for this time going.
I learned about the plants from that scape that I do want to use in this one and ones that I don't
And when to add them and when to trim them.

I now planted it but had to do it quick, too many plants showed up at my door yesterday and I already had two buckets floating plants for almost a week, so I had to do something and I ended up getting rid of a bunch of plants that I couldn't use. Some are here for good like the Erio's and the hairgrass that I seeded (not enough, will get more) and the Blyxa Aburtii and some of the japonica will stay in it's place, but some is just there to get the tank up an running. The Tonina's will stay in this scape, but will be arranged different when I get some of the plants that are missing in and all that.
Over the next 3 weeks, this tank will change alot, but it will look nice when it is all said and done.
At least I hope so.

Here was yesterday's work

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Hi goalcreas,

I think the new one will look good too! I did the same thing, did an initial planting and after a couple of months kept the stuff that worked and changed the rest. I think an aquascape is like the garden in my yard, never completed....just a work in progress! Hopefully in your new scape the plants in front of the rock stay short, it would be a shame to hide a rock with all that character, color, and great texture.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. Some of the Tonina's are nice when kept well groomed, you just have to keep it doubled up so you can lop off crowns when others are showing up and then lop them off when the others are showing up, that way it stays short and looks nice.
I will be moving things around.
In the first tank, the rock kind of got swallowed.
Partly because I was in and out of town for the month of May working in CA and living in AZ on the weekends and not paying too much attention to the trimmings.

My main goal is to keep it just as lush as before but to have it arranged better to show off the rock.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like how the old one had two seperate areas, it was like an underwater plant neighborhood.

However, the new layout has an almost tropical feel to it. The use of the rock and those particular plants reminds me of Hawaii for some reason (lava rocks & palm trees).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts